Red Bull not letting Sainz go – Horner

Apr.19 (GMM) Christian Horner says Red Bull does not intend to release Carlos Sainz from his contract.

Last year, the impressive Toro Rosso driver was linked with a move to Renault, but Red Bull elected to keep him at the junior team and as a ‘reserve’ for the main outfit Red Bull Racing.

“Carlos has a contract with Red Bull, who brought him into F1 and he’s there for the investment they made.

“So at the moment we do not intend to release any of our drivers,” Horner, the Red Bull team boss, told the Spanish broadcaster Movistar.

“Carlos is developing and the Toro Rosso is a good car that should give him good opportunities. He’s still very young but we value him a lot and that’s why we don’t want to get rid of him,” he added.

Horner was also asked about rumours linking Daniel Ricciardo with Ferrari for 2018, but the Briton insisted: “There are always rumours in Italy.”

Related News

  • 20/06/2016 Sainz waiting for Red Bull’s decision on future Jun.20 (GMM) Carlos Sainz looks set to stay at Toro Rosso for a third consecutive season in 2017. Amid rumours of interest from Ferrari and Renault, it is believed Red Bull has decided […]
  • 24/02/2017 Sainz’s father plays down new Renault rumours Feb.24 (GMM) Carlos Sainz's father has played down the revival of rumours linking the 22-year-old Spaniard with a move to the works Renault team. Last year, Sainz was reportedly offered […]
  • 12/05/2017 Sainz admits eye on Red Bull move May 12 (GMM) Amid rumours Alonso, Vettel and Ricciardo could be on the move for 2018, Spanish 22-year-old Carlos Sainz could be a beneficiary of that reshuffle. The Toro Rosso driver was […]
  • 12/06/2015 Renault plays down fifth engine penalties Jun.12 (GMM) Renault has played down the impact of the ten-place grid penalties now being served by its F1 customers. The penalties are due to the sport's long-life engine rules, this […]
  • 02/10/2015 Sainz hopes Red Bull engine crisis over ‘soon’ Oct.2 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has admitted to some nervousness about Red Bull's F1 crisis. The energy drink company has threatened to pull both of its teams out of the sport because, as […]
  • 07/10/2016 Wehrlein eyes Hulkenberg’s Force India seat Oct.7 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein has moved into pole position to race up the grid next year, should Nico Hulkenberg leave Force India. According to rumours, German Hulkenberg is now a hot […]
  • 16/09/2015 Ricciardo unsure as Red Bull eyes ‘customer’ status Sep.16 (GMM) Daniel Ricciardo is not convinced that reverting to engine 'customer' status will be a guarantee of success for Red Bull. In the new 'power unit' era so far, the former […]
  • 09/06/2017 Sainz happy to hear Ferrari rumours Jun.9 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he is still hoping for a future with Red Bull, despite rumours he might be on Ferrari's wish list for 2018. When told about those Ferrari rumours by Sky […]
  • 04/07/2016 Rumours still swirling around Sainz future Jul.4 (GMM) Even though team owner Red Bull has taken up its option on Toro Rosso driver Carlos Sainz, rumours continue to swirl around the impressive young Spaniard. Formerly comparable […]
  • 20/04/2015 Renault ready to spend to fix F1 crisis – Horner Apr.20 (GMM) Christian Horner has acknowledged Renault is now getting serious about fixing its obvious problems in formula one. Earlier, the Briton and other Red Bull officials were […]