Canada GP boss not weighing into Silverstone dispute
Jul.16 (GMM) Canadian grand prix promoter Francois Dumontier says he does not want to weigh in on the dispute between F1 owner Liberty Media and Silverstone.
Making a visit to the scene of the British grand prix, Dumontier would only say to Le Journal de Montreal: “I can understand their concerns.”
Liberty and Silverstone are locked in a dispute after the circuit-owning British Racing Drivers’ Club timed the triggering of a contract exit clause with this weekend’s race.
In a statement, Liberty had hit out at Silverstone’s “posturing”, with the BRDC angling for a reduced race fee.
“I know we are not treating them unfairly,” F1 CEO Chase Carey said at Silverstone. “We are treating them consistently with others.
“Our preference is for Silverstone but the British grand prix certainly does not have to be here. We have had expressions of interest from other places in the UK, but I’m not trying to play one against the other,” he added.
But Dumontier, who organises Montreal’s popular Canadian GP, did not want to weigh in on the dispute and had only positive words to utter about Liberty.
He said the London street demonstration event earlier this week was an “excellent” initiative.
“There is certainly a wind of change blowing in F1,” said Dumontier.
“They want each grand prix to be like a Super Bowl, and I am in favour of these initiatives even though Montreal is already a reference for festivities during the week of a grand prix.”
25/01/2017 British GP safe in Liberty era – Carey Jan.25 (GMM) The future of the British grand prix seemed more secure as new F1 chiefs swept into office this week.
In the Bernie Ecclestone era, the future of the popular race at […]
13/07/2017 F1 not ruling out London GP Jul.13 (GMM) The chances of a F1 street race in London have taken a clear step forward this week.
The boost comes as Silverstone exercised a post-2019 break clause in its existing […]
05/07/2017 Stroll’s private testing ‘not fair’ – Villeneuve Jul.5 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve has hit out at the private testing programme being enjoyed this year by controversial F1 rookie Lance Stroll.
After vicious early-season criticism of the […]
07/07/2017 Silverstone to axe British GP on Tuesday Jul.7 (GMM) Silverstone bosses are expected to axe their British grand prix contract within days.
The Sun newspaper reports that the call to cancel the historic race after 2019 could […]
14/01/2017 Better news about British GP future Jan.14 (GMM) Silverstone's owner is now more confident about the future of the British grand prix.
The chairman of the track-owning British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC), John Grant, […]
15/04/2016 Ecclestone eyeing new partners for Canada GP Apr.15 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone is getting involved in finding new investors for Montreal's Canadian grand prix, according to a report in La Presse newspaper. The report said the F1 […]
02/06/2015 Canada GP partly for sale – report Jun.2 (GMM) The Canadian grand prix is partly for sale, the Montreal daily La Presse reports. The newspaper said promoter Francois Dumontier, with a new ten-year race contract with […]
12/06/2017 Stroll ‘worst F1 rookie ever’ – Villeneuve Jun.12 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve has ramped up his criticism of countryman Lance Stroll, following a difficult opening third of the 18-year-old Canadian's rookie F1 season.
Before the […]
07/11/2016 Stroll helps embattled Canada GP – promoter Nov.7 (GMM) Lance Stroll is a timely shot of good news for the embattled Canadian grand prix.
That is the view of Montreal race promoter Francois Dumontier, who is currently in talks […]
01/03/2017 Canada GP secure through 2029 – promoter Mar.1 (GMM) Canada's place on the F1 calendar for the next 13 years is secure.
That is despite the fact that, mere months ago, the 2017 edition of the popular Montreal race at the […]