Giovinazzi hopes for 2018 race seat

Jul.15 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi is hoping Haas is the key to his future in F1.

After signing up as Ferrari’s reserve driver, the Italian was surprised early this year when he got two race outings to replace the injured Pascal Wehrlein at Sauber.

Now he is back in the spotlight with seven Friday practice outings for another Ferrari customer, the American ‘B’ team Haas.

But he said at Silverstone: “I’m not thinking about the future but just focusing on my work.”

When asked what his goal is for 2018, however, Giovinazzi admitted: “My goal is to compete in formula one, but now I’m more focused on these seven practices.

“After that, let’s see what the options are for next year. I hope I can find a place but I know how difficult it is to get into formula one,” the 23-year-old said.

Asked if his chances are good of a race seat with a Ferrari engine customer like Haas next year, Giovinazzi answered: “I think it’s too early to talk about it. It’s only July.”

Related News

  • 05/06/2017 Magnussen sitting out sessions due to contract Jun.5 (GMM) Contractual details explain why Kevin Magnussen will sit out so many Friday practice sessions in the second half of 2017. With Ferrari reserve Antonio Giovinazzi set for […]
  • 22/12/2016 Giovinazzi set for Friday drives in 2017 Dec.22 (GMM) New Ferrari reserve Antonio Giovinazzi could be set for some Friday practice outings with Sauber or Haas in 2017. The great Italian marque has signed the young Italian GP2 […]
  • 10/06/2017 Magnussen caught out by Haas contract Jun.10 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen has admitted he was caught unawares by a hidden detail of his contract with Haas. When the Ferrari-linked American team said recently it would give Antonio […]
  • 07/09/2017 Haas not keen on ‘pay driver’ model Sep.7 (GMM) Team owner Gene Haas seems determined to avoid the 'pay driver' trend in F1. For the American team's first season last year, Haas took on Esteban Gutierrez, who came with the […]
  • 02/06/2017 Sauber ‘open’ to taking Honda-linked driver Jun.2 (GMM) Monisha Kaltenborn has admitted Sauber may take a driver from Honda's talent pool for 2018. Earlier, when regular Pascal Wehrlein was injured, the German was replaced by […]
  • 19/01/2017 Giovinazzi won’t stagnate in Ferrari role – Wolff Jan.19 (GMM) Toto Wolff has played down fears the career of new Ferrari reserve Antonio Giovinazzi might stagnate in 2017. After almost winning the GP2 title, the 23-year-old Italian has […]
  • 07/09/2015 American driver unlikely for Haas lineup Sep.7 (GMM) Gene Haas has delivered a blow to American GP2 driver Alexander Rossi, all but ruling out a F1 race seat for his fellow Californian. It is believed Haas, set to make its F1 […]
  • 05/08/2015 Only Ferrari offered full support – Haas Aug.5 (GMM) Other engine manufacturers were not willing to match Ferrari's offer when Haas was looking to set up its F1 entry for 2016. That is the claim of founder Gene Haas, whose […]
  • 13/07/2017 Alfa Romeo may power Haas in F1 – report Jul.13 (GMM) Alfa Romeo could be ready to enter formula one. Some time ago, Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne said the iconic Italian name "should be reiterated as a sports brand and […]