Jul.12 (GMM) Honda has reneged on its promise to supply Sauber with customer engines next year.
That is the sensational claim of Germany’s Auto Bild, fuelling speculation the hapless Japanese manufacturer could be about to quit formula one altogether.
That’s because the news coincides with speculation McLaren has looked into dropping its works Honda deal in order to switch to a customer engine supplied by Mercedes, Renault or even Ferrari.
But another victim looks set to be the small Swiss team Sauber, with Auto Bild saying the end of the Honda deal leaves them with “no engine” for 2018.
“Honda has dissolved the contract,” said the report.
Another reason for the Sauber-Honda split could be that the deal was brokered by Monisha Kaltenborn, who has since been ousted by the Swiss team’s new owners.
Since then, rumours of continuing ructions at Sauber have swirled.
Blick, the Swiss newspaper, reported that long-time Beat Zehnder could be named the new team boss, but in fact Sauber announced on Wednesday that the deal with former Renault chief Frederic Vasseur has finally been done.
“Frederic’s long and successful career in top level international motor sport speaks for itself,” said Sauber owner Pascal Picci.
15/07/2017 ‘No objections’ to Sauber deal – Honda Jul.15 (GMM) Talks are back on between Sauber and Honda.
Earlier in 2017, the now-ousted former Sauber boss Monisha Kaltenborn negotiated a customer engine deal with the struggling […]
14/07/2017 Sauber-Honda engine deal in doubt – Ericsson Jul.14 (GMM) Marcus Ericsson has admitted the identity of Sauber's engine supplier for 2018 is in doubt.
Earlier, the Swiss team inked a contract to become Honda's first F1 customer, but […]
21/06/2017 Sauber not commenting on McLaren gearbox claims Jun.21 (GMM) Monisha Kaltenborn has played down the impact the potential McLaren-Honda split might have on Sauber.
Currently, McLaren is Honda's works team, while Ferrari-powered Sauber […]
27/06/2016 Honda still open to supplying second team Jun.27 (GMM) Honda is still open to supplying engines to a customer F1 team.
That is the claim of the Japanese marque's F1 chief Yusuke Hasegawa, even though Ron Dennis has been […]
23/06/2017 Williams rules out Honda switch Jun.23 (GMM) Williams has categorically rejected reports it might become the new works Honda team for 2018.
It is believed McLaren will split with the struggling Japanese manufacturer […]
24/06/2017 Boullier has ‘contracts to negotiate’ Jun.24 (GMM) McLaren has "contracts to negotiate", according to team boss Eric Boullier.
In Baku, the Frenchman was speaking to Belgian broadcaster RTBF, amid swirling rumours that […]
11/05/2017 Sauber ‘not worried’ about 2018 Honda switch May 11 (GMM) Monisha Kaltenborn says she is confident Sauber will be more competitive next year with Honda power.
Currently, the Swiss team is struggling with year-old Ferrari power […]
21/04/2017 Honda eyeing engine customer for 2018 – Boullier Apr.21 (GMM) Honda could finally be set to add a customer team to its beleaguered F1 engine supply programme.
Since the struggling Japanese carmaker re-entered the sport in 2015, there […]
25/06/2017 McLaren engine deal deadline looming – Wolff Jun.25 (GMM) Toto Wolff says Mercedes needs to know if McLaren needs a customer engine supply for 2018 sometime "after the summer break".
Although Honda made a step forward in Baku, it […]
14/07/2017 Honda denies considering F1 exit Jul.14 (GMM) Honda has denied claims the Japanese manufacturer is considering pulling out of formula one.
Rumours of a McLaren-Honda divorce were already rife, but now there are claims […]