McLaren admits customer engine talks

Jul.15 (GMM) A switch to customer Mercedes power appears to be back on the menu at McLaren.

A week ago, it seemed that McLaren and Honda were stepping away from the precipice of looming divorce.

But now at Silverstone, McLaren director Jonathan Neale says the current situation with Honda struggling for performance and reliability is “not sustainable”.

“I think naturally we reach a point of inflection with Honda where we ask ourselves ‘Where do we go from here?’ ‘What do we have to do differently to restore that level of competitiveness?'”

So the latest buzz in the Silverstone pitlane is that the decision has definitely been made to dump Honda, with the last hurdle being the extraction from a binding contract.

It seems McLaren’s preferred alternative for 2018 is customer Mercedes power, but there have also been rumours of talks with Renault and Ferrari, too.

“In F1, when anybody says they’re not talking to anybody, the answer is everybody’s talking to everybody,” admitted Neale.

But another hurdle is the F1 rules.

Currently, Mercedes already supplies to its own works team in addition to Williams and Force India, so a fourth would require a rules tweak.

“You’re right,” said Neale. “In order for an engine manufacturer to supply more than three teams it does require FIA approval.

“We are making sure that we maintain our good relationships with FOM and the FIA while we work through a difficult situation.”

Related News

  • 25/09/2015 McLaren wants Button to stay – Neale Sep.25 (GMM) McLaren on Friday declared that it wants to keep Jenson Button on board for 2016. Actually, the world's media assembled at Suzuka on Thursday expecting the 2009 world […]
  • 28/08/2015 Honda exploited ‘good faith’ of penalty cap – Whiting Aug.28 (GMM) Charlie Whiting has admitted the new rule scrapping in-race penalties was exploited by McLaren-Honda last weekend in Belgium. After fans decried the grid penalties that […]
  • 09/11/2015 Loss-making McLaren compensates Whitmarsh, Mercedes Nov.9 (GMM) A $15 million pay-out to former boss Martin Whitmarsh contributed to the financial loss recorded by McLaren last year. Writing for Forbes, F1 business journalist Christian […]
  • 12/07/2017 Honda quits Sauber engine deal – report Jul.12 (GMM) Honda has reneged on its promise to supply Sauber with customer engines next year. That is the sensational claim of Germany's Auto Bild, fuelling speculation the hapless […]
  • 10/05/2015 Alonso ‘disillusioned’ but not ‘dark and moody’ May 10 (GMM) Even McLaren's dark new livery could give the British team a boost. British newspapers report that the switch from chrome to 'graphite grey' in Barcelona has resulted in an […]
  • 27/03/2015 Engine customers no fix for Honda troubles Mar.27 (GMM) Adding a customer or two to its roster would not speed up Honda's F1 programme. That is the claim of Yasuhisa Arai, who was asked if the fact Honda is working exclusively […]
  • 10/05/2015 Mercedes supports fifth engine yet again May 10 (GMM) Mercedes has changed its position yet again over the 'fifth engine' issue. Concerned that too many drivers will easily run through their allocation of four engines and start […]
  • 17/06/2015 McLaren-Honda ‘will not give up’ – Alonso Jun.17 (GMM) McLaren will not "give up" after a frustrating outing recently in Canada. That is the claim of Fernando Alonso, despite being quoted in recent days suggesting the […]
  • 30/09/2015 McLaren says Button-Renault story ‘nonsense’ Sep.30 (GMM) McLaren has rubbished the theory that Jenson Button is weighing up a move to Renault next year to replace the Haas-departed Romain Grosjean. "This article is nonsense," a […]
  • 20/03/2017 McLaren engine switch rumours hard to believe – Sainz Mar.20 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he cannot imagine McLaren deciding to dump Honda and switch to customer Mercedes engine power in the near future. Last week, the beleaguered British team […]