‘No objections’ to Sauber deal – Honda

Jul.15 (GMM) Talks are back on between Sauber and Honda.

Earlier in 2017, the now-ousted former Sauber boss Monisha Kaltenborn negotiated a customer engine deal with the struggling Japanese manufacturer for 2018.

But Frederic Vasseur is now in charge at the Swiss team, triggering speculation the deal is off.

Indeed, the rumble in the Silverstone paddock is that the Sauber-Honda arrangement only ever got to the point of a letter of intent and official announcement rather than a concrete contract.

Honda F1 director Mashashi Yamamoto said at Silverstone: “We are ready to equip Sauber with power units.

“I built up a lot with Monisha Kaltenborn and we would be happy to have Sauber. Honda has no objections to the originally agreed deal.”

Related News

  • 12/07/2017 Honda quits Sauber engine deal – report Jul.12 (GMM) Honda has reneged on its promise to supply Sauber with customer engines next year. That is the sensational claim of Germany's Auto Bild, fuelling speculation the hapless […]
  • 11/05/2017 Sauber ‘not worried’ about 2018 Honda switch May 11 (GMM) Monisha Kaltenborn says she is confident Sauber will be more competitive next year with Honda power. Currently, the Swiss team is struggling with year-old Ferrari power […]
  • 21/06/2017 Sauber not commenting on McLaren gearbox claims Jun.21 (GMM) Monisha Kaltenborn has played down the impact the potential McLaren-Honda split might have on Sauber. Currently, McLaren is Honda's works team, while Ferrari-powered Sauber […]
  • 14/07/2017 Sauber-Honda engine deal in doubt – Ericsson Jul.14 (GMM) Marcus Ericsson has admitted the identity of Sauber's engine supplier for 2018 is in doubt. Earlier, the Swiss team inked a contract to become Honda's first F1 customer, but […]
  • 28/07/2017 Sauber eyes upgrade to 2018 Ferrari engine Jul.28 (GMM) Sauber looks set to stick with Ferrari power for 2018. Following a period of speculation, the Swiss team's new boss Frederic Vasseur confirmed in Hungary that he has called […]
  • 10/08/2017 Honda wants to pass Renault in 2017 Aug.10 (GMM) Honda is aiming to leave behind the dubious honour of being F1's least powerful engine supplier by the end of the season. Despite swirling speculation about the future of […]
  • 24/02/2015 Honda admits no customers for F1 engine yet Feb.24 (GMM) Honda does not have any potential customers for its new F1 engine, boss Yasuhisa Arai has admitted. After a six-year absence, the Japanese carmaker's plan had always been to […]
  • 23/06/2017 Williams rules out Honda switch Jun.23 (GMM) Williams has categorically rejected reports it might become the new works Honda team for 2018. It is believed McLaren will split with the struggling Japanese manufacturer […]
  • 13/07/2017 Honda denies Sauber split reports Jul.13 (GMM) Honda has denied reports it will renege on its contract to power the Swiss team Sauber from 2018. The rumours say that with the works McLaren-Honda collaboration already in […]
  • 14/04/2017 Sauber poised for 2018 Honda switch Apr.14 (GMM) Sauber could be on the cusp of becoming the second Honda-powered team in F1. The Swiss team's Swedish driver Marcus Ericsson on Thursday said Sauber has been surprised by […]