Sainz at Toro Rosso in 2018 ‘not 100pc’ – Marko

Sep.6 (GMM) Red Bull is still open to ‘selling’ Toro Rosso driver Carlos Sainz to another team.

The energy drink company has a firm contract with the 22-year-old, but persistent rumours say Renault is interested in running him at the French works team.

Indeed, Sainz admitted recently that Renault even made a “good offer” to sign him for 2017, but it was turned down by Red Bull.

Now, there are rumours that not only Renault but also McLaren are interested in Sainz for 2018.

So when asked about Sainz’s 100 per cent Red Bull contract for 2018, Dr Helmut Marko told Canal F1 Latin America: “It’s difficult to talk about 100pc in formula one.

“I would not be surprised to see him at another team. Because I know what his contract is.

“But only we can make it possible,” the Red Bull official added.

Related News

  • 31/08/2017 Sainz says Red Bull to decide future Aug.31 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says his future in F1 remains in the hands of his Red Bull bosses. As the sport moves onto Monza this weekend, rumours are swirling yet again that the energy […]
  • 21/02/2017 Sainz is Red Bull ‘reserve driver’ – Marko Feb.21 (GMM) Red Bull is clinging to its "reserve driver" Carlos Sainz, according to the energy drink marque's Dr Helmut Marko. Some are raising their eyebrows after Renault, who earlier […]
  • 10/09/2015 New engine deal ‘first step’ to Red Bull future Sep.10 (GMM) Red Bull is now all but admitting that its next engine partner will be Ferrari. The energy drink stable, also comprising the Faenza based team Toro Rosso, has reportedly […]
  • 15/12/2015 Toro Rosso could beat Red Bull in 2016 – Marko Dec.15 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has admitted Red Bull could be outpaced by the energy drink team's secondary team in 2016. Carlos Sainz said recently he thinks it is possible Toro Rosso's […]
  • 23/06/2016 Marko says Kvyat could stay at Toro Rosso Jun.23 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has suggested Daniil Kvyat stands a strong chance of keeping his place at Toro Rosso beyond the end of 2016. After the 22-year-old Russian was dropped from […]
  • 22/09/2016 Renault engine swap rumours ‘false’ – Sainz Sep.22 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has once again played down suggestions he might complete a shock switch to the works Renault team for 2017. The Spaniard has already been signed up for next […]
  • 20/11/2015 Ricciardo hints Abu Dhabi announcement looming Nov.20 (GMM) Red Bull appears set to stay in formula one with Renault power in 2016. Earlier, the energy drink company risked dropping off the grid amid its crumbling relationship with […]
  • 27/02/2017 ‘No problems’ with 2017 Renault engine – Marko Feb.27 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has played down reports Renault's 2017 engine came out of the blocks with an apparent technical failure. It emerged last week that, with the French marque […]
  • 05/09/2016 Marko, Gasly deny Kvyat axe rumours Sep.5 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has hit back at rumours Red Bull junior Pierre Gasly is set to take over Daniil Kvyat's Toro Rosso seat with immediate effect. At Monza on Sunday, French GP2 […]
  • 02/04/2015 Young driver rule for 2016 ‘sad’ – Marko Apr.2 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko thinks Red Bull has proved that F1 took a wrong turn with its new-for-2016 super licence rules. Following widespread criticism of the energy drink company's […]