Alonso may leave F1 to find winning car – Briatore

Sep.25 (GMM) If Fernando Alonso cannot return to having a winning car, he will seek it outside of formula one.

That is the stark warning issued by Flavio Briatore, who signed up the Spaniard as a teenager more than 15 years ago and still plays a role in his management.

The flamboyant Italian, who was team boss at Renault when Alonso won his two titles a decade ago, revealed to Spain’s El Mundo newspaper that he even encouraged Alonso to leave Ferrari last year.

“I encouraged him to leave and go to McLaren,” Briatore said. “He could not stay there. They were blaming him for everything.

“He had to leave, especially after Marco Mattiacci arrived. Without him, he might have stayed,” he added.

Ultimately, Mattiacci was replaced by Maurizio Arrivabene, who is now leading the ever-resurgent Ferrari whose Sebastian Vettel is an outside shot for the title.

And Alonso is at McLaren.

“No one imagined it would be this disaster,” Briatore said, “but I know the people from Honda well and although they do things their way, they know engines.

“In 2016 they will be fighting for podiums.”

But what if they are not?

Briatore answered: “If he cannot get a winning car in formula one, he will find it somewhere else.”

Related News

  • 08/05/2015 Alonso hits back after ‘dark and moody’ jibe May 8 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has hit back at former Ferrari boss Luca di Montezemolo's claim that the Spaniard was "dark and moody" last year. Although the Italian team's long-time […]
  • 29/04/2017 Alonso admits 2018 team switch possible Apr.29 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he is not willing to wait much longer for Honda to improve. McLaren headed into the Sochi weekend hopeful of better reliability, but a failure for […]
  • 02/03/2015 Alonso entourage suspects car failure – report Mar.2 (GMM) A second week has begun with the saga surrounding Fernando Alonso's testing crash still high in the headlines. The most important issue, of course, is the McLaren-Honda […]
  • 13/03/2015 Alonso mystery rolls on as Melbourne practice begins Mar.13 (GMM) As the cars begin to roar in Melbourne, the uncertainty about Fernando Alonso's return to action at McLaren-Honda remain. The Spaniard tweeted a 'selfie' showing off his […]
  • 05/04/2016 Vandoorne ‘the next Alonso’ – Boullier Apr.5 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne appears to have put his F1 career on the fast track after making an impressive race debut in Bahrain. Although Fernando Alonso says he is "99 per cent" sure […]
  • 31/01/2019 Sainz ‘excited’ to test 2019 McLaren car Carlos Sainz is "very excited" to get up and running in McLaren's 2019 car. The Spanish driver has moved from the Renault works team to the once-great McLaren team, which struggled […]
  • 30/09/2016 Alonso recommends Sainz for McLaren future Sep.30 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says Carlos Sainz would be a good McLaren-Honda driver for the future. Stoffel Vandoorne is replacing F1 veteran Jenson Button next year, and Alonso is […]
  • 21/08/2018 Alonso did not cause problems – Fisichella Aug.21 (GMM) Giancarlo Fisichella says it is not true that Fernando Alonso causes problems inside every F1 team. With Alonso retiring at the end of the year, some say the Spaniard has in […]
  • 10/08/2015 McLaren denies Vandoorne reports Aug.10 (GMM) McLaren has denied reports that an announcement about the Honda-powered team's driver plans for 2016 is now imminent. Media reports claimed the Woking outfit has decided to […]
  • 13/07/2015 McLaren should be ruing title sponsor stance – source Jul.13 (GMM) McLaren's financial situation could be compounded by a lack of title sponsor, a report in the Sunday Times suggested. The struggling Honda-powered team is a distant ninth in […]