Mar.28 (GMM) The saga over the future of historic Monza’s grand prix continues, with Bernie Ecclestone making conflicting comments regarding its chances.
After reports suggested talks between the Italians and the F1 supremo have broken down, Ecclestone told La Gazzetta dello Sport: “I think it (the race) will continue.
“It is a fact that as men we are talking, although I don’t know why Federico Bendinelli went as he was a smart person and we understood each other.
“But in the end we will reach a favourable conclusion, I’m sure,” the 85-year-old added.
However, Ecclestone has now told Britain’s Mail on Sunday newspaper that he is actually not so sure.
“Next year is the question mark,” he said. “If it doesn’t happen we will have 20 races,” he added, although he also revealed he is in talks with promoters of a potential second US grand prix in Las Vegas.
If Las Vegas comes in and Monza survives, the Briton played down the likelihood of the already stretched calendar being pushed out to 22 races.
“We have got 21 races now. It could go to more but I don’t think it will,” said Ecclestone. “Some of the guys at the teams are shattered.”
02/04/2016 Ecclestone set for more Monza future talks Apr.2 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone has kept hopes alive that Monza might retain the Italian grand prix beyond September's 2016 race. In the past week, reports have suggested the negotiations […]
15/06/2016 Ecclestone plays down latest Las Vegas reports Jun.15 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone has dismissed the latest reports about Las Vegas potentially joining an F1 calendar of the near future.
Speculation that F1 might host more American races […]
04/07/2015 Monza officials meet Ecclestone once again Jul.4 (GMM) Monza is stepping up its campaign to save the embattled Italian grand prix. After one recent meeting moved Bernie Ecclestone to declare "stalemate", officials of the fabled […]
20/07/2016 Capelli ‘cannot see’ Monza losing F1 to Imola Jul.20 (GMM) Former F1 driver Ivan Capelli says he is confident Monza will soon end its troubles and cement its place on the 2017 calendar.
This week, reports have suggested Bernie […]
01/09/2017 Ferrari snubs Montezemolo at Monza Sep.1 (GMM) Luca di Montezemolo says Ferrari did not invite him to Monza for this weekend's celebrations.
Ahead of the Italian grand prix, the great Maranello team is celebrating its […]
11/09/2015 Region tells Ferrari to ‘do more’ to save Monza Sep.11 (GMM) Regional president Roberto Maroni has once again called on Ferrari to step in to help save the endangered Italian grand prix. Maroni, the head of the Lombardy region, has […]
23/04/2016 Ecclestone in Milan for Monza talks Apr.23 (GMM) Monza's F1 future may have come to a head during a meeting in Milan late this week. Amid Monza's troubled negotiations with Bernie Ecclestone, La Gazzetta dello Sport […]
19/06/2017 Whiting gives Imola F1 circuit approval Jun.19 (GMM) Imola remains on track for a future return to the F1 calendar.
Before current Italian GP host Monza's 2017 deal was signed last year, the now ousted F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone […]
02/06/2016 Ecclestone ‘world’s best negotiator’ – Monza Jun.2 (GMM) Monza's failure so far to ink a new F1 race contract for 2017 and beyond is in part due to Bernie Ecclestone's negotiating tactics.
That is the claim of Angelo Sticchi […]