McLaren wants to keep Alonso beyond 2017

Apr.16 (GMM) McLaren-Honda has opened the door for Fernando Alonso to renew his contract beyond the end of next year.

“If he continues working and driving in the same way for us, we would like him to stay,” team boss Eric Boullier told the Spanish sports daily Marca in China.

Former F1 driver Johnny Herbert caused a stir in Bahrain recently when, as the Spanish driver recovered from chest injuries, the Briton urged Alonso to retire.

But Boullier said: “It has been a difficult four weeks for Fernando, but he has behaved like a really motivated driver whose sole ambition was to return to the car as soon as possible.

“We told him he could go home in Bahrain to rest, but he preferred to stay with us,” the Frenchman revealed.

When asked about speculation Alonso is close to calling time on his career anyway, Boullier answered: “Everyone can think what he wants, but I think retirement for him is still far away.”

As for Herbert’s criticism, he continued: “It is his opinion, but mine could not be more different.

“I have not seen anyone as motivated as Fernando. He is one of the main pillars of this team.”

And Boullier said Alonso will have noticed the progress McLaren-Honda has made so far in 2016, revealing: “We are seeing light at the end of the tunnel now.

“By Monaco we will have one of the best chassis and we could reach the podium, why not?” he added.

He dismissed the suggestion McLaren is actually a formerly great team on a downwards spiral, demonstrated by the fact the Woking team has failed to sign up a title sponsor.

“No problem,” said Boullier. “We have a group of sponsors that is enough, including Honda, so we do not mind not having a title sponsor.

“Last year we did not win (much) money being ninth place in the world championship, but this year being around fifth, we will,” he added. McLaren-Honda is currently eighth in the standings with a single point.

“The team, as a company, has always made money,” Boullier explained.

Related News

  • 14/04/2016 Herbert says Alonso incident upset wife Apr.14 (GMM) Johnny Herbert says he stands by his recent criticism of Fernando Alonso, even after the Spaniard's angry reaction. Having written in a column that Alonso should use the […]
  • 04/04/2016 Alonso says Button criticism ‘not fair’ Apr.4 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he is "99 per cent" sure he will be back at the cockpit of his McLaren in China. Sidelined with chest injuries in Bahrain, the Spaniard angrily rejected […]
  • 02/04/2016 Alonso gatecrashes live TV to slam critic Herbert Apr.2 (GMM) Fernando Alonso gatecrashed live British television on Saturday to slam former F1 driver turned pundit Johnny Herbert. Earlier, the veteran of 165 grands prix, 51-year-old […]
  • 17/04/2016 F1 ‘respect’ better than more titles – Alonso Apr.17 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says feeling the "respect" of the paddock is more important to him than adding a third championship to his tally. The Spaniard reacted angrily two weeks ago […]
  • 04/04/2016 McLaren ‘can count on’ Vandoorne in future Apr.4 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne has left Bahrain a happy F1 debutant, even though he will probably have to hand back the keys to Fernando Alonso in China. The highly-rated Belgian, the […]
  • 18/04/2016 Alonso still ‘has the passion’ for F1 – Perez Apr.18 (GMM) Fernando Alonso and Johnny Herbert have buried their differences with a hug live on television. The pair clashed in Bahrain after Herbert, a former grand prix winner, urged […]
  • 06/04/2016 ‘Best driver’ Alonso resumes training Apr.6 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has resumed training as he fights to be fit to return to the cockpit of his McLaren-Honda in China. On the Bahrain grid last Sunday, with Stoffel Vandoorne […]
  • 17/04/2016 Teams showing ‘interest’ for 2017 – Vandoorne Apr.17 (GMM) McLaren may not be Stoffel Vandoorne's only option to step up into a full-time race cockpit for 2017. The Belgian, strongly backed by the British team, made an impressive […]
  • 14/04/2016 Red Bull should sign Sainz, not Verstappen – Herbert Apr.14 (GMM) Johnny Herbert thinks Red Bull should sign up Carlos Sainz for 2017. The former F1 driver made waves in Bahrain recently, when he urged Fernando Alonso to take the […]
  • 20/04/2016 No motivation charge ‘absurd’ – Alonso Apr.20 (GMM) Fernando Alonso insists he is still fully motivated for motor racing. The Spaniard said a career goal is to add wins at the iconic sports car race Le Mans, and also the […]