May 11 (GMM) F1 veteran David Coulthard has backed Red Bull’s controversial decision to oust Daniil Kvyat and replace him immediately with Max Verstappen.
The Scot, a former Red Bull driver and now respected commentator and broadcaster, said: “It makes for some excitement in formula one that of course everyone is talking about.
“So it’s good news,” Coulthard is quoted by De Telegraaf newspaper.
It is the very best news for Verstappen, even if some wonder that making a mid-season switch to a truly top team might be coming too soon for an 18-year-old.
“Max is ready for this opportunity,” Coulthard insisted. “He has the speed and the intelligence.
“I think Carlos Sainz is also ready, but you can’t put two drivers in one car,” he added. “It’s a great opportunity for Max but it doesn’t mean Carlos will not get a chance later this year. Or that Daniil Kvyat cannot come back.
“Things can change quickly,” said the former 13-time race winner.
Coulthard therefore rejected the theory that Red Bull has overstepped the mark with a particularly brutal move against Russian Kvyat, who returns to Toro Rosso.
“Actually,” he said, “all the Red Bull and Toro Rosso drivers have contracts with the same employer.
“If you recall, when I started to drive for the team in 2005, at the wheel of the second car they constantly changed between Tonio Liuzzi and Christian Klien,” Coulthard is quoted by Russia’s Sportbox.
“So this has always been part of the Red Bull philosophy. It’s a company that likes to promote its young talent.
“You can understand how disappointed Daniil must be right now, but the most important thing for him is that he is still in formula one and the Red Bull family,” he added.
24/06/2017 Verstappen not expecting Baku pole Jun.24 (GMM) Max Verstappen has admitted Ferrari and Mercedes will probably race ahead in Baku qualifying.
Although he crashed at the street circuit, the Red Bull driver topped the […]
14/05/2015 Sainz happy to survive Verstappen hype May 14 (GMM) According to some, Carlos Sainz has been the 'revelation of the season'. The build-up to the Spaniard's debut season in formula one was totally overshadowed by Max […]
17/03/2016 Verstappen wants 2016 podium, ‘top car’ in 2017 Mar.17 (GMM) Max Verstappen has joined his boss Franz Tost in targeting a podium for 2016. After Toro Rosso chief Tost set the podium objective recently, team driver Carlos Sainz said he […]
12/08/2019 Verstappen among F1’s ‘more complete’ drivers Aug.12 (GMM) Max Verstappen thinks he is now one of the "more complete" drivers on the entire F1 grid.
Always fast and feisty, many pundits and insiders are now saying the almost […]
08/04/2016 Toro Rosso duo poses Red Bull promotion ‘dilemma’ Apr.8 (GMM) Red Bull is facing a "dilemma" as it ponders the future of its young F1 stars Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz. That is the view of David Coulthard, a veteran F1 driver who […]
04/01/2019 Verstappen slams F1 ‘keyboard warriors’ Jan.4 (GMM) Max Verstappen thinks "keyboard warriors" get too much attention in formula one.
The Dutchman ended 2018 as one of the strongest drivers overall, but early on he faced a […]
18/05/2015 Verstappen welcomes Strategy Group decisions May 18 (GMM) Former F1 driver Jos Verstappen has backed the decisions taken last week by the Strategy Group. Comprised of the top teams, Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA, the […]
28/02/2019 Alonso admits 2020 return possible Feb.28 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has admitted he could return to formula one in 2020.
During his visit to the Circuit de Catalunya for pre-season testing, McLaren announced that the former […]
28/08/2017 Verstappen questions commitment to Red Bull Aug.28 (GMM) Max Verstappen and his father Jos have questioned their commitment to Red Bull.
At Spa, in front of thousands of Dutch fans, the 19-year-old's car broke down for the sixth […]