Gasly to be reserve driver in 2017 – Marko

Oct.27 (GMM) Pierre Gasly will remain a part of Red Bull’s F1 programme in 2017.

That is the news from Dr Helmut Marko, who is in charge of the energy drink company’s high profile and hard-hitting driver development programme.

Earlier, amid Daniil Kvyat’s struggles, GP2 frontrunner Gasly looked a shoo-in for a Toro Rosso seat for 2017.

But Russian Kvyat has been retained, and Frenchman Gasly did not hesitate to express his disappointment.

“Now we must continue to look ahead and explore other options, but I will prove to them that they made the wrong decision,” he said.

It is believed Marko acted to cement Kvyat at Toro Rosso for 2017 amid reported interest from Force India — to the detriment of Gasly’s chances.

“Unfortunately, we couldn’t wait for the GP2 season,” the Austrian told the French broadcaster Canal Plus.

“But Pierre will be reserve driver for Red Bull and continue to work in the simulator. We will select the championship that he does next season but the choice depends on the result in GP2,” Marko explained.

F1 legend Alain Prost thinks Red Bull’s decision regarding Kvyat was a response to the tumultuous season endured by the young Russian in 2016.

“The extension of his contract, despite some modest results, can be regarded as a way to thank him,” the Frenchman said.

“We all thought Pierre would get his place, but in a way this is consistent with Red Bull’s logic: they are their own masters and not always easy to understand.

“In addition to that, everything can change in a couple of months — you can never be too sure with them,” Prost added.

Gasly, 20, has been linked with other F1 teams for 2017, but Prost thinks a move would in fact be unlikely.

“Some of the youth programmes are a trap, and especially the Red Bull programme — a driver can get stuck in it. He has a contract, so he can’t just do what he wants,” he said.

“In formula one, there are only 22 cars and it’s necessary to be in the right place at the right time to take advantage of a good opportunity, and it’s not always easy,” added Prost.

Related News

  • 09/07/2016 Kvyat not willing to predict Toro Rosso seat Jul.9 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat says he is still not in a position to predict his next step in formula one. Initially disappointed and angry to have been demoted by Red Bull, the energy drink's […]
  • 23/06/2016 Marko says Kvyat could stay at Toro Rosso Jun.23 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has suggested Daniil Kvyat stands a strong chance of keeping his place at Toro Rosso beyond the end of 2016. After the 22-year-old Russian was dropped from […]
  • 05/09/2016 Marko, Gasly deny Kvyat axe rumours Sep.5 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has hit back at rumours Red Bull junior Pierre Gasly is set to take over Daniil Kvyat's Toro Rosso seat with immediate effect. At Monza on Sunday, French GP2 […]
  • 23/05/2015 Renault, Red Bull exit still ‘possible’ – Prost May 23 (GMM) Speculation about Renault's future in formula one continues to swirl around the paddock. Earlier in 2015, at the height of partner Red Bull's criticism and its performance […]
  • 29/04/2016 Marko plays down Verstappen-Kvyat rumours Apr.29 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has played down speculation Max Verstappen will definitely be promoted to Red Bull's senior team for 2017. The Austrian, who runs the energy drink company's […]
  • 24/10/2016 Gasly ‘cannot understand’ Kvyat decision Oct.24 (GMM) Pierre Gasly has admitted he "cannot understand" why Red Bull overlooked him for a Toro Rosso seat for 2017. While Daniil Kvyat's future has looked bleak at times this year, […]
  • 20/03/2015 Marko says Toro Rosso cars could turn yellow Mar.20 (GMM) Toro Rosso's cars could turn yellow, Red Bull official Dr Helmut Marko has admitted. As he criticises engine partner Renault for its retrograde step in 2015, Marko has also […]
  • 01/09/2016 Marko denies Gasly to oust Kvyat Sep.1 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has slammed rumours Pierre Gasly is on the cusp of beginning his F1 adventure. The 20-year-old Frenchman is next in line in Red Bull's young driver programme, […]
  • 26/09/2016 Kvyat says ‘no plan B’ amid Gasly rumours Sep.26 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat has admitted he has no 'plan B' for his career. The Russian has had a rollercoaster of an F1 career so far: a debut for Toro Rosso at a young age, a speedy […]
  • 13/04/2019 Gasly struggle could benefit Kvyat – Petrov Apr.13 (GMM) Another former driver thinks Pierre Gasly is at risk of being demoted at Red Bull. After a difficult start for former Toro Rosso driver Gasly in 2019, Jacques Villeneuve […]