Vettel admits aiming for 2017 title

Mar.16 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel has admitted he stands a chance of winning the world championship in a red suit.

“Yes!” the German declared to Sport Bild magazine. “If not, I wouldn’t go to the grid.”

It’s a standard answer from the 29-year-old, who after winning four consecutive titles for Red Bull opted to switch to Ferrari for the 2015 season.

Since then, sections of the Italian press have said Ferrari is back in ‘crisis’, but many observers are now saying Ferrari’s 2017 car could be a field-beater.

“All I can say is that the spirit in the team is good, everyone is working for everyone else’s benefit,” said Vettel.

As for whether Ferrari is topping the pecking order, however, he insisted: “It’s impossible to predict anything.

“Even the tests in Barcelona only gives a basic idea where you stand. And we’ll only have real clarity after three or four races.

“In formula one, only results count,” said Vettel.

Related News

  • 28/04/2017 Alonso still not regretting Ferrari exit Apr.28 (GMM) Fernando Alonso said he is tired of being asked if he regrets leaving Ferrari. While the Spaniard struggles with McLaren-Honda and tries to keep his racing spirit alive by […]
  • 18/04/2018 Raikkonen not treated fairly at Ferrari – press Apr.18 (GMM) Leading Italian journalists have slammed Ferrari for continuing to run a blatant 'number 2' driver policy. Pino Allievi, the leading correspondent for La Gazzetta dello […]
  • 05/05/2017 Ferrari ‘feared’ by Mercedes in 2017 – Marchionne May 5 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne says he is happy Ferrari is now "feared" once again by its top F1 competitor. After a decade-long title drought, Sebastian Vettel is leading the world […]
  • 26/09/2015 Prost sure Vettel to beat career victory tally Sep.26 (GMM) Fellow quadruple world champion Alain Prost has admitted he expects Sebastian Vettel to soon trouble another of his impressive personal records. In Singapore last weekend, […]
  • 02/08/2018 Raikkonen still waiting on Ferrari decision Aug.2 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen says he is still waiting to know if he will be a Ferrari driver in 2019. Not long ago, an Italian newspaper reported confidently that the Finn will be replaced […]
  • 10/05/2018 Title favourite Vettel’s Ferrari car ‘legal’ – Marko May 10 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has nominated Sebastian Vettel as the world championship favourite for 2018. That is despite the fact that Ferrari driver Vettel, once a Red Bull protege of […]
  • 01/08/2016 Arrivabene says Ferrari must increase downforce Aug.1 (GMM) Maurizio Arrivabene has admitted that Ferrari needs to rev up its progress when it comes to aerodynamics. With James Allison gone, Sebastian Vettel now openly questioning the […]
  • 26/11/2018 Rosberg backs Vettel to be 2019 title charger Nov.26 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel has another chance to win the world championship for Ferrari in 2019. That is the view of Nico Roberg, even though Vettel made high profile mistakes this […]
  • 11/07/2017 Red Bull writes off 2017 championship Jul.11 (GMM) Christian Horner has backed frustrated team driver Max Verstappen in declaring the 2017 world championship basically over for Red Bull. After yet another technical […]
  • 14/12/2017 Arrivabene envies Mercedes’ ‘winning mentality’ Dec.14 (GMM) The difference between Mercedes and Ferrari is the winning habit. That is the view of Maurizio Arrivabene, the normally taciturn Ferrari team boss. Sebastian Vettel was the […]