Ecclestone rejected Vietnam GP deal

Apr.6 (GMM) Ousted F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says he rejected plans to add a Vietnamese grand prix to the race calendar.

The 86-year-old, recently stepped down as the sport’s chief executive by new owners Liberty Media, was criticised in the past for adding races to the calendar that lack fan support but pay premium race fees.

But Ecclestone told F1 business journalist Christian Sylt that Vietnam was rejected last year because it lacked “racing history”, while F1 “already has several races in the region”.

Ecclestone also told the Independent newspaper: “I could have done the deal and signed it in August.”

But he rejected the Vietnam deal, also explaining: “It hasn’t got any racing history at all.

“So I didn’t want to put another race in the same sort of area where we already have very good promoters. And I was criticised for putting the races in Baku and in Russia because they hadn’t got that much racing history.”

Related News

  • 01/03/2018 Three new F1 races in 2019 – report Mar.1 (GMM) F1 could have three new grands prix in 2019. Auto Motor und Sport reports that Liberty Media is working on deals with Vietnam, Miami and Argentina. "The circuits are already […]
  • 10/05/2019 Ecclestone backs 21-race calendar for 2020 May 10 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone has backed the move to keep the F1 calendar at 21 races. With Vietnam and Zandvoort reportedly coming in, it was expected Liberty Media's push to expand […]
  • 08/11/2018 Carey now wants Vietnamese F1 driver Nov.8 (GMM) The next step for F1 is a Vietnamese driver. That is the claim of F1 chief executive Chase Carey, after Liberty Media announced that Hanoi will host a street race starting in […]
  • 28/01/2019 Argentine track not targeting F1 race One Argentinean official says the country is not looking for a place on the F1 calendar. Despite the already bustling calendar, Liberty Media is pushing for new races. Vietnam is joining […]
  • 23/01/2019 Time short to build new Vietnam circuit – Tilke Jan.23 (GMM) Hermann Tilke says he has enough time to build the new formula one circuit in Vietnam. The street track in Hanoi, set to host its first race in April 2020, represents the […]
  • 06/12/2018 Ecclestone doubts F1 will race in Miami, London Dec.6 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone doubts Liberty Media's ability to deliver a second US grand prix on the streets of Miami. Plans for the Miami race have fallen through for now, but F1 owner […]
  • 12/11/2018 Miami GP plans still not dead – Carey Nov.12 (GMM) Chase Carey insists that plans for a grand prix in Miami have not been scrapped. In late September, the Miami city commission voted to indefinitely defer the […]
  • 28/01/2019 Liberty Media could sell F1 – report Liberty Media could be looking to sell F1 already. The American company, having bought the rights in 2016 and appointed Chase Carey to replace long-time F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone in […]
  • 27/05/2018 F1 race promoters want lower fees – Wolff May 27 (GMM) Toto Wolff says it is clear F1 race promoters want to renegotiate their contracts with the sport. Many promoters who negotiated their agreements and fees with now-ousted F1 […]
  • 21/03/2019 Work begins on Vietnam F1 track Mar.21 (GMM) Work on Vietnam's new F1 circuit for 2020 began this week. DPA news agency says FIA president Jean Todt was on hand for the ground breaking ceremony in Hanoi. He admitted […]