Verstappen worried about Red Bull for 2018

Jun.13 (GMM) Max Verstappen says he is worried not only about Red Bull’s performance this year, but also for 2018.

The young Dutchman is already under contract for next year, but after retiring in Montreal he insisted 2017 has been “completely crap” so far.

Team boss Christian Horner excused the 19-year-old, though.

“He knows how hard the team is pushing to make the car better. He’ll see the big picture,” the Briton said.

“We were racing against a Mercedes (in Canada) and we beat Ferrari. Max hasn’t had the result but it’s still a long season. His time will come,” Horner added.

But Verstappen said his concerns are not just about 2017, particularly following the latest news from engine partner Renault.

“We wanted to go for the world title this year, but we are far from it,” he told the Dutch broadcaster Ziggo Sport Totaal.

Renault has now said the power unit will not be significantly updated for the rest of the year, and Verstappen admitted: “I’m worried, also for the direction for next year.

“I want to win and I absolutely think this team can. You can see we have improved the car a lot. But the power is yet to come.

“And right now, as you may have read, there will be nothing more (in 2017). Updates were promised but there have been few,” he added.

Related News

  • 14/06/2016 New engine ‘another world’ for Red Bull – Horner Jun.14 (GMM) Christian Horner says Montreal was proof that Red Bull is right back on track. After a resurgent showing for the former world champions in Barcelona and Monaco, Daniel […]
  • 29/05/2018 Red Bull delays engine decision for another month May 29 (GMM) Red Bull will make Renault wait even longer to find out if it intends to use the French manufacturer's F1 power unit in 2019. Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul is frustrated that […]
  • 01/06/2016 Alonso says Honda engine upgrade coming for Canada Jun.1 (GMM) McLaren and Honda have played down Fernando Alonso's claim that the decision to take an upgraded engine to Canada next weekend has already been taken. The Anglo-Japanese […]
  • 31/05/2018 No penalty for Ricciardo in Canada May 31 (GMM) Daniel Ricciardo will not be penalised at next weekend's Canadian grand prix. The Australian won in Monaco, despite nursing his Red Bull to the line using just six of the […]
  • 12/06/2018 Verstappen was alone at Canada GP Jun.12 (GMM) It has emerged that Max Verstappen had no entourage at the Canadian grand prix, just as he ended a run of poor form with a podium. Amid intense speculation about his […]
  • 07/04/2017 Ricciardo wants Renault update sooner Apr.7 (GMM) Daniel Ricciardo has admitted he hopes Renault pushes through a scheduled engine upgrade to get Red Bull back on track in 2017. But the Australian admitted that Red Bull's […]
  • 28/08/2017 Verstappen questions commitment to Red Bull Aug.28 (GMM) Max Verstappen and his father Jos have questioned their commitment to Red Bull. At Spa, in front of thousands of Dutch fans, the 19-year-old's car broke down for the sixth […]
  • 19/06/2015 Ricciardo has ‘learned’ from Canada outburst Jun.19 (GMM) Daniel Ricciardo has admitted he is staying at Red Bull for now. Normally F1's most laughing, grinning and carefree character, the Australian was uncharacteristically grim […]
  • 14/07/2015 Horner denies eyeing Toro Rosso’s Key Jul.14 (GMM) Christian Horner insists Red Bull will not simply poach the increasingly-lauded designer James Key from the junior team Toro Rosso. It has become increasingly clear in 2015 […]
  • 30/05/2017 Horner forgives Verstappen for outburst May 30 (GMM) Christian Horner says Red Bull's relationship with Max Verstappen remains on track. That is despite the fact the Dutchman made a foul-mouthed radio riposte during the Monaco […]