Jul.24 (GMM) Honda says it is staying in F1 with McLaren next year.
In 2017, speculation has been rife that the Anglo-Japanese works collaboration will end after three hapless years.
More recent rumours say the Sauber customer deal for 2018 may also be off, triggering suggestions Honda could be out of F1 completely.
But Honda F1 official Masashi Yamamoto told Sportiva: “I am always talking with president Takahiro Hachigo and the board members, and there is no intention to withdraw from formula one.”
However, Yamamoto didn’t deny that “talks” between McLaren and Honda are taking place.
“There is a contract between us and the premise of the talks with them is to continue,” he said. “We exclude the possibility that McLaren will even temporarily use the power unit of another manufacturer.
“As for Sauber, we had very good negotiations with Monisha Kaltenborn and were moving in the right direction, but the new leadership changed course and now we are negotiating,” added Yamamoto.
13/07/2017 Honda denies Sauber split reports Jul.13 (GMM) Honda has denied reports it will renege on its contract to power the Swiss team Sauber from 2018. The rumours say that with the works McLaren-Honda collaboration already in […]
11/05/2017 Sauber ‘not worried’ about 2018 Honda switch May 11 (GMM) Monisha Kaltenborn says she is confident Sauber will be more competitive next year with Honda power. Currently, the Swiss team is struggling with year-old Ferrari power […]
07/01/2017 McLaren to run new Honda engine in 2017 Jan.7 (GMM) McLaren has revealed that it will use a new Honda engine in 2017. The Anglo-British collaboration has made progress since its difficult 2015 debut, and now technical boss Tim […]
12/12/2018 McLaren not ‘copying’ Red Bull car – Sainz Dec.12 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has played down claims McLaren is 'copying' Red Bull's chassis concept for 2019. With Red Bull moving to Honda power, some have observed that McLaren will now […]
13/05/2017 Todt eyes third term as FIA president May 13 (GMM) FIA president Jean Todt will push to be elected for a third consecutive term as the head of F1's governing body. The Frenchman confirmed his intentions in a letter that said […]
30/04/2017 Kaltenborn sure Honda will improve Apr.30 (GMM) Monisha Kaltenborn says she is confident Honda will make a big step forward in formula one for 2018. It was announced on Sunday that Sauber, currently a customer Ferrari […]
24/06/2017 Boullier has ‘contracts to negotiate’ Jun.24 (GMM) McLaren has "contracts to negotiate", according to team boss Eric Boullier. In Baku, the Frenchman was speaking to Belgian broadcaster RTBF, amid swirling rumours that […]
12/07/2017 Honda quits Sauber engine deal – report Jul.12 (GMM) Honda has reneged on its promise to supply Sauber with customer engines next year. That is the sensational claim of Germany's Auto Bild, fuelling speculation the hapless […]
20/06/2018 Toro Rosso to keep ‘works’ Honda status Jun.20 (GMM) Toro Rosso will not lose its works status now that senior team Red Bull has signed up to also be powered by Honda engines from 2019. That is the news from Honda's F1 general […]
15/07/2017 ‘No objections’ to Sauber deal – Honda Jul.15 (GMM) Talks are back on between Sauber and Honda. Earlier in 2017, the now-ousted former Sauber boss Monisha Kaltenborn negotiated a customer engine deal with the struggling […]