No regrets after Force India exit – Hulkenberg

Jul.8 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg says he has no regrets after switching from Force India to the Renault works team for 2018.

While Force India is an impressive fourth in the constructors’ championship, Renault is a lowly ninth as the halfway point of the season approaches.

So when asked if he regrets accepting a pay rise to drop clearly down the F1 pecking order, Hulkenberg insisted: “I did everything right.

“It was clear that it would be a small step back this year and that we could not beat Force India,” he told the Austrian newspaper Kurier.

“It was about the future, especially 2019 and 2020,” the German added.

“I believe in the potential of this team and the fact that it represents a car with which I can compete for victories.”

As for when that first win will come, 29-year-old Hulkenberg is not sure.

“That is speculation,” he said.

“Officially, the team says it wants to compete for wins in 2019, but there are no guarantees in formula one.

“There is only hard work, decisions, budgets, the right people. With this recipe, however, the team has everything to go to the top.”

Related News

  • 06/10/2016 Hulkenberg not ‘100pc’ on Force India exit rumours Oct.6 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg on Friday could not say he will definitely line up for the Force India team in 2017. Speculation has linked the German as well as his teammate with potential […]
  • 09/08/2019 Hulkenberg ‘not ready’ for Formula E switch Aug.9 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg says he is "not ready" to contemplate a switch to Formula E. It is strongly rumoured that if Haas shows the door to Romain Grosjean, the Frenchman will accept […]
  • 06/01/2017 Now Force India reveals 2017 launch date Jan.6 (GMM) Force India has become the third team to reveal a launch date for its 2017 car. Before official testing begins at the end of February, Ferrari has said it will run its new […]
  • 15/09/2017 Hulkenberg laughs at F1 record in Singapore Sep.15 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg is set to take over an unenviable record in formula one. In Singapore, the German is set to beat countryman Adrian Sutil's mantle as the driver with the most […]
  • 16/06/2016 Marchionne made F1 ‘rookie error’ – Berger Jun.16 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne made a "typical rookie error" in predicting immediate wins in 2016 and the world championship title, according to former Ferrari driver Gerhard Berger. So […]
  • 29/03/2017 High costs hurting F1 ‘show’ – Todt Mar.29 (GMM) As far as the F1 pecking order is concerned, Jean Todt says he likes what he has seen so far in 2017. "It's good," he told the Italian newspaper La Repubblica, "because a […]
  • 01/02/2019 Ferrari CEO announces bigger F1 budget for 2019 Feb.1 (GMM) Ferrari will boost its 2019 budget in a bid to finally beat Mercedes to a world championship this decade. The fabled Italian team challenged hard in 2018, but team and driver […]
  • 05/01/2017 Force India wants to beat top team in 2017 – Ocon Jan.5 (GMM) Esteban Ocon says he and Force India are aiming high for 2017. The Mercedes-backed, 20-year-old Frenchman made his mid-season F1 debut for backmarker Manor last year, but for […]
  • 01/02/2016 Fans will spot Ferrari car changes – Vettel Feb.1 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel admits a seasoned eye will quickly recognise the changes made to Ferrari's F1 car for 2016. After Mercedes easily won the first two championships of the new […]
  • 23/01/2019 Force India not confirming end of pink livery Jan.23 (GMM) Force India is not commenting on reports that it could drop its pink livery for 2019. SportsPro reports that the newly Lawrence Stroll-owned team has secured a $18 million […]