Giovinazzi not giving up on 2018 F1 ‘dream’

Nov.9 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi says he still has his eye on the big “dream” of racing in formula one for Ferrari.

The Italian actually had a minor role in this year’s F1 season, replacing the injured Pascal Wehrlein at Sauber early on.

“The year gave me more than I expected,” said the 23-year-old, who was Ferrari’s official reserve and also a Friday practice driver for Haas, another Ferrari-powered team.

“I do not hide that after a great year in GP2, I felt ready to race a full season in F1, but that’s how it is,” Giovinazzi told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“But now I feel even much more prepared than I did last winter.”

However, the next step for Giovinazzi is not clear. In China, he had an awful race weekend for Sauber and since then it has been Ferrari’s other junior, Charles Leclerc, who has commanded most of the attention.

“In Australia I had a great time but China was the worst weekend of my entire career as a driver,” he admits.

“It happened to me on the most important stage when I had all the media pressure on me. Critics attacked me a lot. I understand better that you always have to keep your feet on the ground,” Giovinazzi insists.

“I do not want to say that it went to my head, but perhaps in China I set goals that were bigger than I could do at that time. You have to be aware of your limitations and that everything comes to you in time.

“But the disappointment has helped me to grow.”

Indeed, it is Leclerc who is believed to have definitely secured the Sauber seat for 2018, with the Swiss team wanting to please its owners by keeping Marcus Ericsson.

But there are rumours Ferrari is still pushing hard to convince Sauber to pick Giovinazzi to be Leclerc’s teammate instead.

Sauber boss Frederic Vasseur is expected to make his decision before the end of the 2017 season.

Also rumoured is that Haas is still under pressure to accommodate Giovinazzi in 2018, even though Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen are already under contract.

Asked by La Gazzetta dello Sport to explain why he deserves to be on the grid, Giovinazzi answered: “Because, like so many others, myself and my family have made great sacrifices to get me here.

“F1 is not football, where you can play for many teams. Here there are only 20 places in the world but I have always believed I could do it just like Vettel and Hamilton, who also achieved great success from scratch.

“I can say that I’m still dreaming to follow Schumacher.

“When I signed for Ferrari I could not believe it,” he revealed. “I had always been a ‘gypsy’ in my single seater career but now I live near Maranello, I am almost every day at the factory and I feel at home now.”

Related News

  • 16/01/2018 F1 ‘still priority’ despite Formula E test – Giovinazzi Jan.16 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi insists formula one remains his "priority". With the support of Ferrari, the Italian made his F1 debut early last year as he temporarily replaced the […]
  • 30/03/2017 Ferrari to let Giovinazzi race on for Sauber Mar.30 (GMM) Ferrari has decided to make its official reserve driver available to Sauber for the forthcoming China-Bahrain double header. That is the claim of the authoritative Italian […]
  • 03/04/2017 Wehrlein to do Friday practice in China Apr.3 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein will return to the cockpit of his Sauber this Friday in Shanghai. That is the claim of the Italian media, after the German apparently voluntarily withdrew […]
  • 05/04/2017 Trulli hopes Giovinazzi gets full F1 season Apr.5 (GMM) Former F1 driver Jarno Trulli thinks Italian countryman Antonio Giovinazzi kicked off a "promising formula one career" in Australia. Actually, Giovinazzi had travelled to […]
  • 27/03/2017 Giovinazzi to wear Ferrari red in China Mar.27 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi says he will be back in red gear when he returns to the F1 paddock in two weeks. Ferrari's new reserve driver got a shock call-up to the race grid in […]
  • 05/12/2017 Haas closes door on Ferrari’s Giovinazzi Dec.5 (GMM) Haas appears to have closed the door completely on Antonio Giovinazzi. Since July, the Ferrari junior driver appeared in a Haas cockpit on seven Friday mornings at grands […]
  • 04/09/2018 Leclerc says Ferrari will decide future Sep.4 (GMM) Charles Leclerc says it is up to Ferrari to decide if he is ready for a plum seat with the Maranello team. It is believed that although new boss Louis Camilleri wanted to […]
  • 17/02/2017 Sauber to confirm Wehrlein out for first test Feb.17 (GMM) Sauber is set to confirm that Pascal Wehrlein will sit out the start of official pre-season testing in a little over a week. With Mercedes' backing, the 22-year-old German […]
  • 29/07/2017 Sauber not ruling out Ferrari-linked driver Jul.29 (GMM) Sauber is not ready to think about its 2018 driver lineup. That is the view of the Swiss team's brand new boss Frederic Vasseur, as he attends his first grand prix in Sauber […]
  • 27/09/2018 Giovinazzi must learn from Raikkonen – Liuzzi Sep.27 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi must be meticulous as he represents Italy in formula one. That is the view of Vitantonio Liuzzi, who along with Jarno Trulli was the last Italian driver […]