Hartley not worried about Honda switch

Nov.21 (GMM) Brendon Hartley says he is looking forward to switching from Renault to Honda power for 2018.

Since joining Toro Rosso late this year, the Le Mans winner has been struggling for laps due to constant Renault reliability issues.

New Zealander Hartley says he is therefore not worried about moving to McLaren’s troubled works engine partner Honda for next year.

“I think in the past two races we’ve had no reliability at all from the engines we have,” the 27-year-old rookie told Russia’s Championat.

“At the same time, I am sure that working with Honda is a great opportunity for myself and the whole team and a very positive moment,” Hartley added.

Meanwhile, he said he has been fielding “a lot” of questions recently about Daniil Kvyat, the driver he is replacing at Toro Rosso for 2018.

“I guess I’m not the most popular in Russia right now,” Hartley smiled, “but seriously it’s hard for me to comment. I didn’t make the decision, and in formula one we know these decisions are not always easy.

“It’s a very difficult question, but from my side I can only say that I’m glad to get a second opportunity here,” he added.

Related News

  • 01/03/2018 Honda ‘perfect’ at Toro Rosso so far – Hartley Mar.1 (GMM) Brendon Hartley says there is no sign of the sort of three-year horror that McLaren endured with Honda so far in 2018. With McLaren and Honda divorcing, the Japanese supplier […]
  • 27/02/2018 McLaren dumping Honda was ‘mistake’ – Hartley Feb.27 (GMM) Brendon Hartley thinks McLaren dumping Honda at the end of last year was "a mistake". "I think they've made a mistake," the New Zealander told Marca sports newspaper on […]
  • 08/06/2018 Candidates line up to replace Hartley Jun.8 (GMM) The candidates may be piling up, but Brendon Hartley is for now sidestepping rumours he is set to be replaced at Toro Rosso. In recent days, McLaren junior Lando Norris was […]
  • 07/12/2018 Hartley thought he had ‘long term contract’ Dec.7 (GMM) His F1 adventure may be over for now, but Brendon Hartley says his motor racing career is still very much alive. Having been given a second chance by Red Bull and Toro Rosso, […]
  • 19/10/2017 Hartley prepares for ‘big step’ in Austin Oct.19 (GMM) Brendon Hartley has admitted getting up to speed straight away in Austin will be difficult. Toro Rosso owner Red Bull has signed the New Zealander and Le Mans winner to […]
  • 24/05/2018 Hartley ‘surprised’ by Toro Rosso axe rumours May 24 (GMM) Brendon Hartley says rumours of his impending F1 demise "surprised" him. After Barcelona, rumours started doing the rounds that Toro Rosso owner Red Bull was considering […]
  • 08/01/2019 Hartley’s father slams Ferrari ‘rumours’ Jan.8 (GMM) Brendon Hartley's father has slammed "rumours" the ousted Toro Rosso racer will become a simulator driver for Ferrari. After a year on the grid, Le Mans winner Hartley has […]
  • 23/10/2018 Uncertainty about future ‘annoying’ – Hartley Oct.23 (GMM) Brendon Hartley says the uncertainty about his place at Toro Rosso for 2019 is getting "annoying". It is believed team owner Red Bull will replace the New Zealander with […]
  • 20/11/2017 Hartley had 2018 contract for ‘weeks’ Nov.20 (GMM) Brendon Hartley says he has known for "several weeks" that he will be driving for Toro Rosso next year. Earlier, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and the New Zealander insisted they did […]
  • 20/10/2017 Hartley not ruling out longer F1 adventure Oct.20 (GMM) Brendon Hartley says his future is unclear beyond Sunday's US grand prix. The New Zealander, who last tested an F1 car for Mercedes in 2012, has been drafted into Toro […]