Verstappen ready to beat Hamilton – van der Garde

Dec.22 (GMM) Max Verstappen developed as both a person and a driver in 2017.

That is the view of former F1 driver Giedo van der Garde, as he contemplated the solidifying stardom of the 20-year-old Dutchman.

“I think Max grew a lot as a person, because he had to deal with all those disappointments on the track,” the former Caterham driver told Formule 1.

“I think he also grew considerably as a driver,” van der Garde said of the Red Bull driver. “In qualifying he made an important extra step.”

Van der Garde said he thinks Verstappen is therefore ready to take on Lewis Hamilton for the title.

“Hamilton is of course a really good driver, as we saw again this year. But I think Max can handle him.”

Related News

  • 19/11/2015 Verstappen should keep racing ‘damn hard’ – van der Garde Nov.19 (GMM) As his meteoric and history-making first season nears its end, the compliments are continuing to rain down on F1 teen sensation Max Verstappen. While Lewis Hamilton […]
  • 22/06/2017 Verstappen should ‘keep quiet’ amid rumours Jun.22 (GMM) A former F1 driver has urged Max Verstappen to "keep quiet" and "not worry", amid speculation he wants to move on from his current team Red Bull Racing. Although Dr Helmut […]
  • 11/10/2015 Van der Garde right to attack Sauber – Ecclestone Oct.11 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone says Giedo van der Garde was right to pursue Sauber in the courts earlier this year. As the 2015 season began in Melbourne, Dutch driver van der Garde […]
  • 19/03/2015 Sauber surprised by van der Garde ‘accusations’ Mar.19 (GMM) Sauber has admitted it was "surprised" to read ousted driver Giedo van der Garde's media statement on Wednesday. After the courtroom battle of Melbourne, the two sides have […]
  • 01/06/2015 Kaltenborn feared jail over van der Garde saga Jun.1 (GMM) Monisha Kaltenborn has admitted she feared starting her 2015 season in jail. Until now, the Sauber chief has not spoken at length about the 'Giedo van der Garde saga' that […]
  • 14/04/2015 Bianchi signed Sauber contract at Suzuka – Kolles Apr.14 (GMM) Jules Bianchi might have raced a Sauber in 2015, it has emerged. The claim was made by former HRT boss Colin Kolles, as he discussed the Giedo van der Garde saga on Austrian […]
  • 12/03/2015 Sauber fights for survival in Melbourne court Mar.12 (GMM) Sauber is fighting for survival in a Melbourne court. The Swiss team has appealed a local judge's ruling that Giedo van der Garde can take his rightful place on the 2015 […]
  • 11/01/2018 Bottas training hard to be ‘better person and driver’ Jan.11 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas says he is working hard to be a better driver in 2018. After his first season at Mercedes, and having secured another one-year deal for 2018, the Finn is […]
  • 22/03/2018 Hamilton names Ricciardo as favourite Mar.22 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton has named local hero Daniel Ricciardo as the favourite in Australia this weekend. Although the bookies and pundits think reigning champion Hamilton is the […]
  • 13/04/2015 Founder says Sauber ‘future’ back on track Apr.13 (GMM) Having emerged from the comfort of his pre-season low profile, Peter Sauber is now declaring confidently: "We're back." In recent times, the Swiss team's 71-year-old founder […]