Williams denies Rowland could get 2018 race seat

Dec.11 (GMM) Williams has denied that Formula 2 star Oliver Rowland is now a late contender to replace Felipe Massa for 2018.

With Robert Kubica inching towards the race seat for next year, Rowland threw a spanner in the works by declaring at the weekend: “My team is in talks with Williams.

“British car, British driver, it fits well,” he is quoted by The Independent newspaper.

But when asked if it is true that Rowland is really a contender to race for Williams next year, a team spokesman said: “That’s not correct.”

Canadian newspaper La Journal de Montreal reports that if Kubica does have a genuine challenger for the 2018 role, it is Russian driver Sergey Sirotkin.

Citing sources, the report said 22-year-old Renault reserve Sirotkin promises about $15 million in sponsorship, “which Kubica is unable to match”.

Le Journal de Montreal said Sirotkin was seen at Williams’ headquarters last Tuesday, with Kubica visiting Grove a day later.

“According to information, Williams could hire Kubica as well as Sirotkin as the third driver. If the Pole does not satisfy the team, the Russian could be called up to take over at any time.”

The report concluded: “Paul di Resta, Pascal Wehrlein and Daniil Kvyat had also been mentioned to replace Massa, but they are no longer in the picture.”

Related News

  • 26/03/2018 Stroll hits out at Williams’ 2018 car Mar.26 (GMM) Lance Stroll has fired some rare criticism at his F1 employer. Williams has had a tough start to the 2018 season, amid criticism for not signing Robert Kubica as race driver […]
  • 11/05/2019 Latifi could replace Kubica at Williams – report May 11 (GMM) The first rumours that Robert Kubica could be ousted by Williams have emerged. The Pole has struggled alongside George Russell on his return to F1 after an eight year […]
  • 20/10/2018 Stroll to race out 2018 with Williams Oct.20 (GMM) Lance Stroll says he is staying at Williams for the final few races of 2019. Earlier, it seemed clear that the Canadian would leave the struggling British team to join his […]
  • 19/01/2017 Stroll happy Massa replacing Bottas Jan.19 (GMM) 2017 rookie Lance Stroll says he is happy that Felipe Massa will be his teammate this year. Earlier, the 18-year-old Canadian was set to be paired with Valtteri Bottas at […]
  • 27/07/2017 Only judge Stroll in 2018 – Prost Jul.27 (GMM) Quadruple world champion Alain Prost has defended F1's teen rookie Lance Stroll. Canadian Stroll's debut for Williams this year has been the subject of controversy, as his […]
  • 05/07/2017 Stroll’s private testing ‘not fair’ – Villeneuve Jul.5 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve has hit out at the private testing programme being enjoyed this year by controversial F1 rookie Lance Stroll. After vicious early-season criticism of the […]
  • 01/06/2017 Stroll not crumbling under ‘pressure’ – father Jun.1 (GMM) Lance Stroll's father has denied that his son is crumbling under the "pressure" of expectations in F1. Still just 18, Canadian Stroll has struggled at Williams so far in […]
  • 24/11/2018 Stroll-Force India announcement due in ‘hours’ Nov.24 (GMM) Lance Stroll's switch from Williams to Force India will finally be announced in the coming hours. With Robert Kubica now completing Williams' 2019 lineup, it remains an open […]
  • 26/07/2016 Montreal mayor plays down F1 race fears Jul.26 (GMM) Montreal's mayor has played down reports the 2017 Canadian grand prix is in serious doubt. Le Journal de Montreal newspaper reports that some fans have been unable to secure […]
  • 17/12/2018 Canada GP not in danger – promoter Dec.17 (GMM) The future of the Canadian grand prix is not in danger. That is the view of Montreal race promoter Francois Dumontier, even though F1 chief executive Chase Carey has warned […]