Alonso made Honda ‘look bad’ – Marko

Jan.29 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko says Red Bull’s new plan for 2018 is still on track.

Recently, Marko said the team had learned from 2017, when it started with a car off Mercedes and Ferrari’s pace.

“Based on our experience last year, we gave the engineers a deadline,” he now explains to Auto Motor und Sport.

“There is no worrying this time about whether we can make it to the first test.”

Quietly, Marko is optimistic about the RB14 car amid whispers from France that Renault has got the reliability problems of its engine under control.

But there are no public goals from Red Bull, with Marko saying only: “Let us surprise.

“We have optimal values, but we do every year,” he said.

Another positive factor is the strong involvement of Adrian Newey, although Marko admits the famous designer is not involved “100 per cent”.

As for the future, Red Bull is reportedly looking beyond 2018 with Renault and considering joining sister team Toro Rosso in using Honda power.

“Honda is very active and have already found something,” Marko said.

“Perhaps they will manage to be on Renault’s level with their second engine (specification).

“Honda had to compromise because of the McLaren chassis and were not able to develop freely. And Alonso did everything he could to make the engine look bad,” he added.

For 2018, Marko expects Mercedes to dominate again.

“The worst thing is their qualifying mode, because you cannot overtake on most tracks,” he said.

Related News

  • 12/04/2018 Axing Honda was McLaren mistake – Marko Apr.12 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko says McLaren's 2018 car is obviously "not great". The British team went into Bahrain targeting the top three teams, but was ultimately outpaced even by the […]
  • 12/06/2018 Honda improvement worth ‘three tenths’ – Marko Jun.12 (GMM) Red Bull looks to be speeding towards a switch to works Honda power for 2019. We already revealed that the team is planning an announcement for its home race in Austria, and […]
  • 26/02/2019 No B-team alliance leaves Mercedes ‘alone’ – Marko Feb.26 (GMM) Mercedes has been left "alone" without a key team alliance in formula one. That is the view of Red Bull official Dr Helmut Marko. He points out that Ferrari has allied […]
  • 05/09/2018 Red Bull future riding on Honda success – Marko Sep.5 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko says Red Bull will quit formula one if the Honda project doesn't work out. Disenchanted with its customer Renault relationship, the energy drink owned team is […]
  • 28/06/2018 Red Bull ‘closer’ to Ricciardo deal – Marko Jun.28 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko says Red Bull is getting "closer" to re-signing Daniel Ricciardo for 2019. The Australian has been linked with potential moves to Ferrari, Mercedes or even […]
  • 08/10/2017 No Toro Rosso seat for Wehrlein – Marko Oct.8 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has denied rumours Pascal Wehrlein could be in the running to race for Toro Rosso in 2018. On Sunday, both teams confirmed that Jolyon Palmer has been axed by […]
  • 25/02/2016 2016 car is ‘best Red Bull has built’ – Marko Feb.25 (GMM) The mood at Red Bull is upbeat, even though part-time designer Adrian Newey admits the RB12 will not be a Mercedes-beater in 2016. But that is not because the car is bad, […]
  • 12/03/2019 Verstappen says no win for Red Bull-Honda in Australia Mar.12 (GMM) Max Verstappen has played down his chances of winning this weekend's 2019 season opener. His boss, Dr Helmut Marko, has been ramping up the Dutchman's hopes, predicting […]
  • 14/02/2019 Marko thinks Red Bull-Honda can be ‘at the front’ Feb.14 (GMM) Recently, former F1 driver Robert Doornbos said he would be watching Max Verstappen's face after he steps out of the 2019 Red Bull-Honda for the first time. "Max will know […]
  • 27/02/2017 ‘No problems’ with 2017 Renault engine – Marko Feb.27 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has played down reports Renault's 2017 engine came out of the blocks with an apparent technical failure. It emerged last week that, with the French marque […]