Alonso no longer ruling out Nascar

Jan.25 (GMM) Fernando Alonso is no longer ruling out a future move into Nascar, America’s premier tin-top series.

Earlier in January, although the McLaren driver last year did the Indy 500 and is now moving into sports cars, he ruled out Nascar.

“Those cars require a unique driving style which can only be acquired through a lot of practice and I do not have that many free weekends,” he said.

But he now says he may try Nascar “one day”.

“I love motor sports,” Alonso is quoted by USA Today newspaper.

“It was nice to go to the Indy 500. I felt competitive there. Now I’m going to endurance racing. Maybe one day I’ll try different series, maybe even Nascar. Why not?”

However, the former two-time F1 title winner admits that a Nascar foray may have to take place at some unknown point in the future.

“Right now it looks quite far because I think with driving technique and the experience all those guys have, it’s quite difficult for me to achieve that level,” Alonso said.

“But I will never know until I try. I would like one day to test a car. After that, I probably would know how enjoyable it would be racing,” he added.

Related News

  • 07/05/2019 Vandoorne to be ‘very good’ Le Mans driver – Alonso May 7 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has tipped Stoffel Vandoorne to be a "very good" sports car driver. Until last year, the pair were teammates at McLaren. Alonso quit to tackle Le Mans and […]
  • 26/01/2018 Alonso says Le Mans chances ’50-50′ for 2018 Jan.26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says it is "50-50" whether he will race this year at Le Mans. Currently, the Spaniard - having contested the Indy 500 last year - is preparing for his […]
  • 13/08/2015 Haas expecting team to be competitive Aug.13 (GMM) Gene Haas says he expects his new F1 team to be competitive when it enters the sport next year. Already with a team in America's premier series Nascar, the Californian has […]
  • 11/11/2017 Alonso poised to announce 2018 Le Mans foray Nov.11 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has refused to deny reports he will definitely contest the fabled Le Mans 24 hour race next year. With an eye on motor racing's famous 'triple crown', the […]
  • 02/02/2018 Alonso needs Le Mans to ‘prove’ skills – Domenicali Feb.2 (GMM) Fernando Alonso is racing outside formula one to "prove" he remains one of the world's best drivers. That is the view of his former Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali, who today […]
  • 20/02/2018 Alonso defends ‘impossible’ 2018 schedule Feb.20 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he has no concerns about being able to cope with an unprecedentedly busy racing programme in 2018. Alongside F1's longest-ever season of 21 races, the […]
  • 15/08/2018 Indycar, Nascar begin to woo retiring Alonso Aug.15 (GMM) Motor racing series have already begun lining up to attract Fernando Alonso for 2019. The Spaniard and McLaren have sensationally announced that Alonso, 37, is quitting […]
  • 29/05/2017 Alonso ‘not ready’ to commit to 2018 Indy 500 May 29 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has suggested he will return to America to bid once again for Indy 500 victory. Having sat out Monaco last weekend, the Spaniard tasted the lead of the […]
  • 16/05/2018 McLaren looking at series outside F1 – Brown May 16 (GMM) If F1 budgets go down, McLaren will consider entering teams in other racing series. That is the claim of Zak Brown, whose top driver Fernando Alonso is already splitting his […]
  • 09/02/2018 Alonso could do Indy 500 again in 2019 Feb.9 (GMM) Fernando Alonso could return to the Indy 500 in 2019. But Zak Brown, his boss at McLaren, played down the chances the British team might follow Alonso to America with a fully […]