‘Facts’ show McLaren better in 2018 – Alonso

Jan.29 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he is likely to return to Daytona in the future.

The Spaniard had a less than perfect endurance sports car debut at the American event in 2018, but he said he now feels “much better prepared” for Le Mans.

“I can drive prototypes better than I could two weeks ago,” Alonso is quoted by Spain’s Diario Sport.

But the McLaren driver said F1 remains his “number 1 priority” this year, although admitting that his chances of racing at Le Mans increased from 50 to 60 per cent.

“If and when I drive Le Mans, then it will be my second time driving at night, knowing how long to rest and sleep etc,” Alonso added.

And he said a return to Daytona in 2019 is probable, as he can prepare for F1 at the wheel of a racing car “much better” than in the gym or on a bike.

As for his chances of podiums in F1 this year, he said McLaren is “very confident”.

“In recent years we have always hoped that the next season will be better, but these were just hopes. This time we also have facts,” Alonso added.

Related News

  • 26/01/2018 Alonso says Le Mans chances ’50-50′ for 2018 Jan.26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says it is "50-50" whether he will race this year at Le Mans. Currently, the Spaniard - having contested the Indy 500 last year - is preparing for his […]
  • 09/01/2018 Alonso’s sports car distraction ‘a mistake’ – Webber Jan.9 (GMM) Fernando Alonso is making "a mistake" by trying to combine F1 with endurance sports cars. That is the claim of his former rival and ongoing friend Mark Webber, after Alonso […]
  • 20/09/2018 Magnussen could do Daytona, Le Mans Sep.20 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen could be about to join Fernando Alonso in adding some endurance sports car racing to his schedule. Denmark's BT newspaper reports that the Haas driver wants […]
  • 11/10/2017 McLaren could let Alonso race at Daytona Oct.11 (GMM) McLaren could let Fernando Alonso contest the famous Daytona 24 hour endurance sports car race early next year. It is believed the British team and the Spanish driver are […]
  • 07/01/2018 Alonso says third title is ‘first priority’ Jan.7 (GMM) Fernando Alonso may have more plans to race outside of F1, but he insists that his role with McLaren-Renault remains his main focus. Last year, the 36-year-old stunned the […]
  • 14/04/2016 FIA lets Alonso test injuries on Friday Apr.14 (GMM) Fernando Alonso got only a partial green light on Thursday to return to action in Shanghai. After a long wait for news following his meeting with FIA doctors, it was […]
  • 27/10/2017 Alonso not denying Daytona could be Le Mans prelude Oct.27 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has not denied that his prototype sports car debut next January could be a precursor to also racing at Le Mans in 2018. The Spaniard will drive the LMP2 […]
  • 04/05/2018 Busy Alonso sitting out post Spain GP test May 4 (GMM) Fernando Alonso will skip the forthcoming post-Spanish grand prix test. As he splits his time in 2018 between F1 and preparation for Le Mans, the Spaniard is this weekend at […]
  • 09/01/2018 Norris wants to learn from and beat Alonso in Daytona Jan.9 (GMM) New McLaren reserve Lando Norris says Daytona is the perfect opportunity to start learning from Fernando Alonso. This year, the new reigning F3 champion will travel the […]
  • 13/10/2017 Alonso says still ‘no decision’ over F1 future Oct.13 (GMM) The F1 world is still waiting to hear if Fernando Alonso will still be on the grid in 2018. Following the McLaren-Honda split, it is expected the Spaniard will stay at the […]