Bottas not targeting Alonso’s ‘triple crown’

Feb.15 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas says he has no plans to add the ‘triple crown’ target to his itinerary any time soon.

Fernando Alonso has made waves in recent years, after targeting the elusive goal of adding Indy 500 and Le Mans victories to his Monaco grand prix win.

He came close to Indy victory last year, and in 2018 will do the full WEC calendar as he tries Le Mans for the first time.

Asked if he has similar ambitions to Alonso, Mercedes driver Bottas said: “If he feels he has the time and energy for that, it’s no issue.

“Maybe he likes to try new things because he’s been in formula one for a long time,” he told Ilta Sanomat newspaper.

“But at this point I don’t think I would like to start mixing other series with the formula one season. I’d rather focus fully on formula one,” Bottas added.

Indeed, the F1 calendar has already swelled to 21 races for 2018, and Liberty Media has talked about adding even more races in the near future.

“We have 21 races now but 25 is definitely the upper limit,” Bottas said.

“It’s going to be difficult on the logistics side to do that. There are the people to think about and costs will also get a lot higher if the teams have to get more people in.”

Related News

  • 04/06/2019 McLaren split possible for Alonso’s next Indy tilt Jun.4 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has admitted he could split with McLaren for his next attempt to win the Indy 500. With a full McLaren entry, the Spaniard failed even to qualify for the […]
  • 25/02/2019 Hamilton has no interest in ‘triple crown’ Feb.25 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton says he has no interest in following Fernando Alonso's lead by targeting the so-called 'triple crown'. Now retired from F1, Alonso has already added Le Mans […]
  • 13/04/2019 Hamilton doesn’t care about ‘triple crown’ Apr.13 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton insists he "couldn't care less" about the so-called triple crown. Fernando Alonso repopularised the triple crown achievement by declaring that he wants to add […]
  • 25/01/2018 Montoya backs Alonso’s ‘triple crown’ bid Jan.25 (GMM) Juan Pablo Montoya has applauded Fernando Alonso's efforts to secure motor racing's elusive 'triple crown'. Last year, Alonso tried to add an Indy 500 win to his Monaco […]
  • 30/05/2017 Only Red Bull door closed for 2018 – Alonso May 30 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says the only top team with closed doors for 2018 is Red Bull. Amid McLaren-Honda's crisis, the Spaniard skipped Monaco last weekend to do the Indy 500 and […]
  • 26/05/2017 Alonso says no Indycar switch for 2018 May 26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has played down speculation he could quit formula one and switch full-time to the American equivalent Indycar. The Spaniard is not in Monaco this weekend as […]
  • 31/01/2018 Brown predicts ‘solid season’ for McLaren Jan.31 (GMM) Zak Brown insists formula one will remain Fernando Alonso's "number 1 priority" in 2018. That is despite the fact that it has been announced officially that the Spanish […]
  • 30/01/2019 Alonso eyes ‘unprecedented’ next moves Fernando Alonso says his next moves in motor racing could be "unprecedented". Now retired from F1, the two-time champion got a step closer to the elusive 'triple crown' last year with […]
  • 08/05/2019 Alonso keeping future plans ‘top secret’ May 8 (GMM) Fernando Alonso is keeping "top secret" plans about his future close to his chest. The Spaniard admitted recently that deciding to quit Le Mans and the world endurance […]
  • 06/03/2019 Alonso would say ‘yes’ to top team comeback Mar.6 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has admitted he could say "yes" to a formula one comeback. Clearly disillusioned with perpetual life in the midfield, the two-time champion quit F1 at the end […]