Feb.22 (GMM) Renault has confirmed reports it has made progress with its F1 engine ahead of the 2018 season.
Late last year, the French marque encountered reliability problems and a shortage of parts.
But customers Red Bull and McLaren have suggested progress has been made over the winter.
“Last year, we could not exhaust the engine’s potential because of fears about reliability,” Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul told Auto Motor und Sport.
“But now we can.”
Works Renault driver Nico Hulkenberg is also confident, after his bright yellow and black 2018 car was launched.
“The top three teams will continue to be at the front,” he said. “Then I hope it is us and McLaren and it will be interesting to see what Force India can do again.
“If we manage to cut the gap to the top teams in half then we will have done a good job.”
Abiteboul also said he is not worried Renault may be making a strategic mistake by having teams as strong as Red Bull and McLaren as customers.
“We cannot run away from these teams if we want to be world champions,” he insisted.
“We can also learn from our customers: Red Bull in aerodynamics and organisation, and McLaren on the mechanical side.”
And Hulkenberg said the challenge of Red Bull and McLaren’s impressive driver lineups – including stars Max Verstappen and Fernando Alonso – must also be embraced.
“We are not bad ourselves,” he smiled. “I don’t think we have to hide from them.”
On the topic of Alonso, Hulkenberg – the 2015 Le Mans winner – said he wishes the Spaniard well for his Toyota adventure this year.
“It’s not just the extra races, Fernando has to test and also be in the factories — both Toyota and McLaren. It will be quite a nice burden for him but I didn’t want to do it that extremely myself,” said the German.
15/04/2019 ‘Multi-year job’ to catch top teams – Abiteboul Apr.15 (GMM) Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul says the French team is in the middle of a "multi-year" task to catch the big three teams. The comments come after China, where despite making […]
23/05/2019 2019 ‘a mess’ so far for Renault – Hulkenberg May 23 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg has admitted that Renault's 2019 season so far has been a "mess". The French works team wanted to get closer to the top three teams this year, but even with […]
28/05/2017 Renault ‘on track’ to join top F1 teams May 28 (GMM) Renault is on track as it pushes towards the top in formula one. The French carmaker returned to full works status in F1 last year. But as former team champion Fernando […]
24/03/2015 Renault accuses Red Bull of ‘lying’ Mar.24 (GMM) Renault's relationship with works team Red Bull continues to crumble. Cyril Abiteboul, chief of the French carmaker's F1 engine programme, on Tuesday accused Red Bull […]
19/12/2018 Renault to keep working over Christmas Dec.19 (GMM) Staff at Renault's works F1 team will work throughout the Christmas and New Year period. That is the news from Cyril Abiteboul, the French works team's boss. Renault […]
25/07/2018 Ocon not yet guaranteed Renault seat Jul.25 (GMM) Carlos Sainz is not yet out of the running to keep his Renault seat for 2019. What is known is that Nico Hulkenberg is staying with the French works team. "I am still […]
05/12/2018 Renault can close engine gap for 2019 – Abiteboul Dec.5 (GMM) Cyril Abiteboul says he is not sure that Renault is ready to take on Red Bull in 2019. The French works team was fourth overall in 2018, but a long way behind the top three […]