Sainz ‘excited’ for better Renault – father

Feb.23 (GMM) Famous former rally champion Carlos Sainz expects his son to take a “step forward” in formula one this year.

Last year, Carlos Sainz jr stepped up from the Red Bull programme to join the works Renault team.

His father and namesake now expects Sainz, 23, to take another “little step forward” in 2018.

“He is preparing for the season with a lot of enthusiasm,” 55-year-old Sainz told EFE news agency.

“The tests start next week, the Renault was presented this week, he’s very excited and those of us who are with him are too,” the two-time rally champion added.

“From what he says, he is confident that they will take a step forward,” Sainz said.

Renault driver Sainz told L’Equipe he has settled in well at the French team.

“I have the impression of building a team around me,” he said.

“We have a good chance of doing great things together. The goal is to get closer to the best teams, but it’s impossible to say exactly where we will be.

“We’re not thinking so much in terms of championship position but rather pure performance,” said Sainz.

Meanwhile, Sainz snr played down suggestions his son might consider trying his hand at a rallying career in the future.

In January, the 23-year-old drove two stages of the Monte Carlo rally.

“No, it was an act of marketing,” Sainz snr insisted. “He was driving a course car only to get to know the stage.”

Related News

  • 24/02/2017 Sainz’s father plays down new Renault rumours Feb.24 (GMM) Carlos Sainz's father has played down the revival of rumours linking the 22-year-old Spaniard with a move to the works Renault team. Last year, Sainz was reportedly offered […]
  • 05/01/2015 Sainz’s father says surname no ticket to F1 Jan.5 (GMM) Carlos Sainz insists his famous name alone did not power his 20-year-old son all the way to formula one. Carlos Sainz jr, the new reigning Formula Renault 3.5 champion, will […]
  • 09/05/2018 Renault ‘seems to want to keep me’ – Sainz May 9 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has hinted that he will stay at Renault next year. Although Cyril Abiteboul has said he is happy with the Spaniard, the Renault team boss is also planning a […]
  • 10/10/2016 Red Bull blocked Renault move for Sainz – father Oct.10 (GMM) Red Bull blocked Carlos Sainz's move to Renault for 2017, according to the Spanish driver's well-known father. Sainz senior, a world rally champion, appeared on Spanish […]
  • 08/11/2018 Sainz not expecting big McLaren boost in 2019 Nov.8 (GMM) Carlos Sainz is not expecting to make a big leap up the F1 grid in 2019. In fact, the Spaniard said that even if McLaren improves, he should be not be any higher in the field […]
  • 03/05/2016 Sainz hits out at Palmer incident penalty May 3 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has hit out at the 10-second penalty imposed for his confrontation with rival Jolyon Palmer at Sochi. Even the Spaniard's famous father, rally legend Carlos […]
  • 03/10/2018 Verstappen thinking in races more now – father Oct.3 (GMM) Max Verstappen's father says the young Dutchman is now thinking more during F1 races. The Red Bull driver had a tough start to 2018, but his father Jos said the 21-year-old […]
  • 04/09/2016 Massa could race elsewhere in 2017 – father Sep.4 (GMM) Felipe Massa's father says it is possible the retiring F1 driver will switch to another category in 2017. Brazilian Massa, 35, announced at Monza that he will not be […]
  • 23/11/2018 Sainz to test McLaren next week Nov.23 (GMM) Carlos Sainz will get his McLaren career off to an early start. Both Renault and Red Bull, who have contracts with the Spaniard, have apparently released Sainz to test the […]
  • 09/02/2015 Mercedes to dominate again in 2015 – Briatore Feb.9 (GMM) Flavio Briatore does not think any F1 rivals are ready to challenge Mercedes' dominance in 2015. Ferrari set the pace at the Jerez test last week, while Red Bull and Williams […]