Ocon admits eyeing Mercedes future

Mar.19 (GMM) Esteban Ocon admits he is quietly eyeing a future at Mercedes.

The young Frenchman is currently at Force India, but he is backed by Mercedes.

According to RMC, Mercedes boss Toto Wolff recently called the 21-year-old his “little gem”.

“It’s always cool to hear things like that from your boss,” Ocon smiled.

But when asked if he is eyeing Valtteri Bottas’ place at Mercedes for 2019, Ocon insisted: “We’ll see.

“For now I’m at Force India. But my career is managed by Mercedes so I am in very good hands. If I do very well, there will always be opportunities,” he added.

However, although fourth in the past two years, Force India had a mixed winter season and may no longer be leading the midfield.

“The car was well born but there is quite a bit of work to do, particularly at the beginning,” Ocon admits.

“There are new pieces coming for the first race so it will be a really different car,” he added.

“It’s difficult to know where we are, but in the ‘long runs’ we weren’t far from Red Bull so that’s encouraging,” said Ocon. “We’ll see what happens in qualifying when it counts.”

Related News

  • 31/05/2018 Wolff confirms Force India team order May 31 (GMM) Toto Wolff has admitted he asked for Esteban Ocon to let Lewis Hamilton past in Monaco. Wolff is the team boss at Mercedes, and Ocon is a Mercedes junior driver. The […]
  • 03/10/2018 Ocon situation not Renault’s fault – Abiteboul Oct.3 (GMM) Cyril Abiteboul has hit back at rival team boss Toto Wolff over the plight of French driver Esteban Ocon. Recently, Wolff slammed the chiefs at Renault and McLaren for […]
  • 27/06/2017 Bottas not worried about Mercedes future Jun.27 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas insists he is still not worried about his future at Mercedes. Although performing solidly, the Finn has been told by boss Toto Wolff that the team is not […]
  • 28/08/2017 Wehrlein admits Sauber exit likely Aug.28 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein has given the strongest sign yet that he will leave Sauber at the end of the year. Recently, both the German, his Mercedes boss Toto Wolff, and Sauber chiefs […]
  • 15/09/2018 Wolff slams F1 bosses over Ocon exit Sep.15 (GMM) Toto Wolff has lashed out at his fellow F1 team bosses for getting in the way of young drivers' futures. The Mercedes chief is astonished that other bosses have not […]
  • 08/06/2019 Ocon ‘working hard’ for 2020 race seat Jun.8 (GMM) Esteban Ocon says his hopes of returning to the grid next year remain high. Having missed out on a seat for 2019, the former Force India driver now travels the calendar as […]
  • 14/07/2019 Ocon hoping for ‘competitive’ 2020 car Jul.14 (GMM) Esteban Ocon is now hopeful he will be back on the Formula 1 grid next year. Sitting on Mercedes' reserve bench in 2019, the ousted Force India driver has been linked with […]
  • 02/09/2018 Racing third Mercedes ‘would be fantastic’ – Ocon Sep.2 (GMM) Esteban Ocon agrees that introducing three cars per team would solve his problem in F1. With Lance Stroll set to move up to Force India, Frenchman Ocon could be left without […]
  • 05/02/2016 Friday outings possible for Ocon Feb.5 (GMM) Esteban Ocon may get some Friday practice outings in 2016. 'On loan' to Renault after re-signing with Mercedes' driver development scheme late last year, the 19-year-old […]
  • 05/08/2019 Bottas admits he has ‘plan B’ for 2020 Aug.5 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas has revealed he has a "plan B" in case Mercedes does not keep him for 2020. Team boss Toto Wolff is openly weighing up between keeping the Finn, or promoting […]