Alonso welcomes Button to Le Mans

Apr.28 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has welcomed his former McLaren teammate Jenson Button to Le Mans.

After Baku, McLaren driver Alonso’s world endurance championship campaign kicks off next weekend with a six hour race at Spa Francorchamps.

“Yes, I’m saving energy,” the Spaniard smiled in Azerbaijan.

“It’s necessary to plan how much energy is required, so I think not in the short term but in the long term,” Alonso added.

He will be joined at most WEC races this year by his former McLaren teammate and 2009 world champion Button, who has been signed by the Russian LMP1 team SMP.

“I knew about this a few months ago,” Toyota driver Alonso said.

“I’m happy for Jenson — SMP Racing is a very strong team. The more good drivers join the WEC, the better it is for the championship.”

Mika Salo, who heads the SMP Racing programme, told Ilta Sanomat newspaper of the Button signing: “We have no other goal than to win the LMP1 class and Le Mans.

“We definitely have a good car.”

Related News

  • 30/01/2019 Sirotkin eyes Le Mans win Sergey Sirotkin will keep his motor racing career alive at Le Mans. Having been dropped by Williams, the Russian's backer SMP Racing announced that Sirotkin, 23, will contest Le Mans as […]
  • 26/01/2018 Alonso says Le Mans chances ’50-50′ for 2018 Jan.26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says it is "50-50" whether he will race this year at Le Mans. Currently, the Spaniard - having contested the Indy 500 last year - is preparing for his […]
  • 20/02/2018 Alonso defends ‘impossible’ 2018 schedule Feb.20 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he has no concerns about being able to cope with an unprecedentedly busy racing programme in 2018. Alongside F1's longest-ever season of 21 races, the […]
  • 01/02/2018 WEC eyeing calendar tweak for Alonso Feb.1 (GMM) The world endurance sports car championship is reportedly considering changing the date of a key race so that Fernando Alonso can take part. This week, McLaren announced that […]
  • 26/11/2017 Alonso, McLaren disagree over full WEC campaign Nov.26 (GMM) McLaren and Fernando Alonso continue to disagree about whether the Spanish driver should complete the full world endurance championship in 2018. McLaren executive Zak Brown […]
  • 20/11/2017 Alonso admits eyeing Le Mans ‘future’ Nov.20 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he is willing to talk about "the future" with regards to a potential Le Mans foray. Amid rumours he will do the fabled 24 hour endurance race next year, […]
  • 11/11/2017 Alonso poised to announce 2018 Le Mans foray Nov.11 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has refused to deny reports he will definitely contest the fabled Le Mans 24 hour race next year. With an eye on motor racing's famous 'triple crown', the […]
  • 02/05/2018 Le Mans will make Alonso ‘tired’ – Hartley May 2 (GMM) Brendon Hartley is expecting Fernando Alonso to be "pretty tired" as his split duties between F1 and Le Mans racing kick off. Spaniard Alonso is already at Spa Francorchamps, […]
  • 10/08/2015 McLaren denies Vandoorne reports Aug.10 (GMM) McLaren has denied reports that an announcement about the Honda-powered team's driver plans for 2016 is now imminent. Media reports claimed the Woking outfit has decided to […]
  • 07/05/2018 F1-sports car unification ideal – Todt May 7 (GMM) Jean Todt says it would be "ideal" to achieve some technical parity between formula one and the world endurance championship. At the weekend, Fernando Alonso returned to the […]