Marchionne steps back from F1 quit threat

May 4 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne has delivered a more upbeat message about Ferrari’s future in formula one.

In recent weeks and months, the Ferrari president has been warning F1 owner Liberty Media that it may leave the series over disagreements about the 2021 rules.

But now Marchionne sounds more upbeat, particularly about the performance of Ferrari’s 2018 car.

“We are in a phenomenal condition with the car,” he is quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“We were unlucky in Baku, but it is the most promising car since I’ve been here,” Marchionne added.

“Both of our drivers are encouraged and there are still developments that will be seen later in the season. It is important for Ferrari to be the winner in F1,” he said.

As for the post-2020 talks with Liberty, Marchionne appeared to step back from his F1 quit threat.

“What you have to bear in mind is that Ferrari will continue to race. It’s in our blood. We will continue to show our abilities,” he said.

And referring to Liberty, Marchionne added: “I am encouraged by the change of attitude and we have enough to discuss. We will reach a conclusion by the end of the year.”

Related News

  • 02/08/2018 Ferrari’s talks with Liberty still on – Camilleri Aug.2 (GMM) Ferrari's new CEO says talks about the future with Liberty Media are progressing. Louis Camilleri has replaced Sergio Marchionne, who died last week of cancer. Marchionne is […]
  • 30/11/2017 Ferrari not ready for Formula E – Agag Nov.30 (GMM) Formula E boss Alejandro Agag does not think Ferrari is serious about launching a foray any time soon. Annoyed about the direction of F1 under Liberty Media, Ferrari […]
  • 04/12/2017 Marchionne says Fiat quit threat ‘serious’ Dec.4 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne has reiterated his threat to pull Ferrari out of F1 after 2020. In fact, the Fiat CEO is now also threatening to withdraw Sauber's newly announced Alfa […]
  • 22/03/2018 Ecclestone backs Marchionne’s F1 quit threat Mar.22 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone says he is supportive of Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne's F1 quit threat. Ecclestone, 87, was ousted as the sport's long time 'supremo' following the […]
  • 19/09/2018 Ferrari not ready to sign for 2021 – Camilleri Sep.19 (GMM) Ferrari is still a long way from agreeing to stay in formula one beyond 2020. That is the view of Ferrari's current CEO Louis Camilleri. The 63-year-old took over recently […]
  • 06/11/2018 ‘No progress’ on budget cap – Camilleri Nov.6 (GMM) Liberty Media's proposed budget cap is no closer to being ready to implement. That is the claim of Louis Camilleri, who earlier this year took over after the death of Ferrari […]
  • 27/01/2017 Ecclestone denies ‘breakaway’ series claims Jan.28 (GMM) Former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has denied reports he is planning to set up a 'breakaway' series. Authoritative sources had hinted at the 86-year-old's move, perhaps […]
  • 22/08/2017 Raikkonen tips strong future for Leclerc Aug.22 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen has tipped a strong future for Ferrari junior Charles Leclerc. Monaco-born Leclerc, 19, is dominating the former GP2 series Formula 2 this year and he […]
  • 03/02/2017 Ferrari considering buying into F1 – Marchionne Feb.3 (GMM) Ferrari could be the first F1 team to take up Liberty Media's offer of shares in the sport. We have reported that despite Liberty's eagerness for the teams to take up to 20 […]
  • 21/03/2018 Ferrari’s quit threat is serious – Wolff Mar.21 (GMM) Toto Wolff has warned the FIA and Liberty Media not to take Ferrari's F1 quit threat lightly. As negotiations over a new commercial deal and regulations beyond 2020 loom, […]