Latifi targets F1 race seat for 2019

Jun.6 (GMM) Nicholas Latifi says he is targeting a formula one seat for 2019.

The 22-year-old Canadian is currently Force India’s reserve driver, and he will be in action on Friday morning this weekend in Montreal.

“It will obviously be very special for me,” he told Le Journal de Montreal.

Latifi switched from a similar role at Renault last year to join Force India, and he said he is happy with the move.

“Carlos Sainz and Nico Hulkenberg are expected to stay next year,” he said. “But at Force India, we don’t know the future of Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon.

“I don’t want to do another season of F2 in 2019. My goal is formula one,” said Latifi.

His wealthy father Michael has just bought into the McLaren team, triggering speculation that it could be Nicholas’ route into F1.

“You’re not the first to talk about my father,” Latifi said.

“But money is no guarantee of success in motor racing. I have proven that you also need concrete results in this business.”

A McLaren spokesperson denied that Latifi could walk into a McLaren seat thanks to his father’s connections.

“This partnership has nothing to do with Nicholas,” the spokesman said. “We have no pressure to entrust him with driving one of our cars in the future. We only look for the best drivers.”

Related News

  • 15/08/2016 No new reserve driver for Renault Aug.15 (GMM) Renault says it will not appoint an official replacement for reserve driver Esteban Ocon. Ocon has been called up to make his F1 race debut from the forthcoming Belgian […]
  • 15/05/2016 No Friday outings for Vandoorne – Boullier May 15 (GMM) McLaren-Honda team boss Eric Boullier says there are no plans for Stoffel Vandoorne to be given Friday morning outings in 2016. Another works team, Renault, is giving Sergey […]
  • 21/05/2018 Latifi’s father linked with McLaren deal May 21 (GMM) The father of Force India reserve driver Nicholas Latifi is linked with a major deal at McLaren. Last week, Canadian 22-year-old Latifi tested for Force India in […]
  • 23/05/2018 McLaren denies link to Nicholas Latifi May 23 (GMM) McLaren has denied any link between its new shareholder and the career of a young Formula 2 driver. Michael Latifi, the father of Force India reserve Nicholas Latifi, has […]
  • 15/05/2016 No ‘negative pressure’ at Renault – Magnussen May 15 (GMM) Even though three young chargers are knocking on the door, Kevin Magnussen sounds secure in his race seat at Renault. So far in 2016, the Dane and his teammate Jolyon Palmer […]
  • 20/05/2016 Renault doesn’t need ‘big name’ driver – Vasseur May 20 (GMM) Renault is open-minded about the composition of the driver lineup for its new works team beyond 2016, according to boss Frederic Vasseur. Having inherited Jolyon Palmer's […]
  • 11/06/2017 Struggling Stroll ‘will find solution’ – Ocon Jun.11 (GMM) Esteban Ocon has tipped Lance Stroll to "find a solution" to his current troubles in F1. At the seventh round of his new F1 career, 18-year-old Stroll slumped at his home […]
  • 09/08/2018 Stroll should leave Williams now – Villeneuve Aug.9 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve thinks Canadian countryman Lance Stroll should leave Williams immediately. Stroll's billionaire father Lawrence is leading the consortium that has bought […]
  • 14/05/2016 Magnussen quiet over Renault’s young drivers May 14 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen says he is not sure what Renault has in mind with its growing list of young test drivers. So far in 2016, Russian Sergey Sirotkin and Frenchman Esteban Ocon […]
  • 11/12/2017 Williams denies Rowland could get 2018 race seat Dec.11 (GMM) Williams has denied that Formula 2 star Oliver Rowland is now a late contender to replace Felipe Massa for 2018. With Robert Kubica inching towards the race seat for next […]