Leclerc-Raikkonen rumours heat up in France

Jun.24 (GMM) Charles Leclerc seems destined to move into a Ferrari seat for 2019.

Speculation is now rife that the Italian team intends to part with 38-year-old Kimi Raikkonen at the end of the year and call up its junior driver from Sauber.

At Paul Ricard, the highly rated rookie Leclerc, 20, qualified eighth in his Sauber, just two places behind Raikkonen.

“I cannot find words,” the Monaco-born driver told Sky Italia.

“It was like starting from scratch because we totally changed the car. I knew what I wanted and the engineers understood what I needed.

“I cannot believe this eighth place, it’s magical,” Leclerc added.

As for the rumours of a 2019 Ferrari seat, he said only: “I am focused only on now, but I am inspired by Sebastian (Vettel).”

Finn Raikkonen is also being coy amid the speculation.

“There is always a lot of talk every year, and now it’s happening again,” he said.

“You’d have to ask those people who write these things. It’s not really my concern,” Raikkonen added.

Related News

  • 22/06/2018 Raikkonen not denying Ferrari-Leclerc rumours Jun.22 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen has not denied the latest rumours about his future. Recently, the Finn was linked with a full-time move to rallying for 2019. Now, the rumour in the Paul […]
  • 25/05/2018 Raikkonen hints he wants 2019 deal May 25 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen has hinted he wants a new deal at Ferrari for 2019. Charles Leclerc and Daniel Ricciardo are linked with the Finn's seat, but Sebastian Vettel has made clear […]
  • 02/09/2018 Pole ‘no guarantee’ of 2019 seat – Raikkonen Sep.2 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen's future remains completely unclear, even though he drove his Ferrari to pole at Monza. "Of course if you could choose, the best place is in front of your home […]
  • 22/08/2017 Raikkonen tips strong future for Leclerc Aug.22 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen has tipped a strong future for Ferrari junior Charles Leclerc. Monaco-born Leclerc, 19, is dominating the former GP2 series Formula 2 this year and he […]
  • 12/06/2015 Button hopes drivers consulted over F1 future Jun.12 (GMM) Jenson Button hopes drivers are consulted as formula one steps into a more exciting future. Acknowledging some of the problems with the rules and the current generation of […]
  • 26/06/2018 Win won’t change me as driver – Raikkonen Jun.26 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen has denied that he desperately needs a grand prix win. The 38-year-old Finn is not commenting on widespread speculation that Ferrari intends to replace him […]
  • 27/04/2018 Raikkonen denies being Ferrari ‘number 2’ Apr.27 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen has denied he is obviously the 'number 2' driver at Ferrari. Although the Finn has performed strongly in 2018, many believe Ferrari has clearly favoured […]
  • 03/03/2016 Ferrari plays down rumoured engine problems Mar.3 (GMM) Rumours are swirling in the Barcelona test paddock about problems with Ferrari's 2016 power unit. Within sight of the end of the pre-season period, cooling holes have […]
  • 29/06/2018 Magnussen plays down Ferrari rumour Jun.29 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen has played down a wild rumour linking him with Ferrari. Although it seems more likely that Ferrari would replace Kimi Raikkonen with Charles Leclerc, the […]
  • 05/09/2018 Ferrari to formalise Raikkonen news on Thursday Sep.5 (GMM) Thursday is decision-day when it comes to Ferrari's driver choice for 2019. At Monza, it was rumoured that after extended internal wrangling, Kimi Raikkonen had been told he […]