Alonso tells Red Bull boss to apologise

Aug.25 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has called on Red Bull boss Christian Horner to apologise.

The Spaniard claims that although Horner wanted to sign him on no fewer than six occasions, including two offers in 2018, he said in public that Alonso is a trouble-maker.

“It has been weird, it has been unfair to me,” Alonso said at Spa.

He said he emailed Horner after his most recent comments and the Briton apologised.

“Hopefully he’ll apologise again this weekend.”

When asked about Alonso’s comments, though, Horner denied offering the 37-year-old a seat except in 2007.

“We had an enquiry (in 2018) from Flavio Briatore, and from Liberty Media, but the position within Red Bull has always been very clear that we invest in youth and have a talent pool through the Red Bull junior programme,” Horner said.

Red Bull official Dr Helmut Marko commented: “Maybe one of our mechanics or engineers is a fan of his.”

Related News

  • 29/04/2017 Officials hint Kvyat staying at Toro Rosso Apr.29 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat stands a chance of keeping his Toro Rosso seat beyond 2017. That is the claim of Red Bull officials Dr Helmut Marko and Christian Horner, as the young Russian […]
  • 27/02/2018 1000hp engine should make Mercedes confident – Horner Feb.27 (GMM) Christian Horner has confirmed team colleague Dr Helmut Marko's admission that Red Bull will struggle to win the 2018 title. Daniel Ricciardo topped the times as winter […]
  • 24/05/2015 Red Bull ‘not leaving F1’ – Horner May 24 (GMM) For now, the tension between Red Bull and Renault remains. The explosive criticism of earlier in 2015 has now subsided, but it was Red Bull wanting to take all the credit on […]
  • 21/02/2019 Red Bull ‘ahead of Mercedes’ – Marko Feb.21 (GMM) Red Bull appears ready to challenge for the world championship. After the opening three days of 2019 testing, the provisional pecking order is Ferrari in the lead, half a […]
  • 22/02/2019 Red Bull denies Honda engine vibration rumours Feb.22 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has added his denial to speculation Red Bull is struggling with excessive vibration from the 2019 Honda power unit. Actually, team official Marko insists the […]
  • 30/06/2015 Red Bull not losing Ricciardo – Horner Jun.30 (GMM) Christian Horner on Tuesday said there is "no risk" Red Bull is set to lose Daniel Ricciardo to Ferrari. Ricciardo, whose frustration with the situation at Red Bull is […]
  • 09/07/2017 F1 could introduce new engines one year early Jul.9 (GMM) F1 could introduce a new engine formula as early as 2020. That is despite the fact the current regulations governing the controversial 'power unit' rules are technically set […]
  • 11/04/2019 Sweet-smelling Ferrari ‘not illegal’ – Marko Apr.11 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has dismissed claims that Ferrari's 2019 car is illegal. However, the Italian team stunned rivals Mercedes and Red Bull in Bahrain with a power unit that was […]
  • 09/04/2019 Red Bull could axe Gasly in 2019 – Villeneuve Apr.9 (GMM) Pierre Gasly could lose his seat at Red Bull within the 2019 season. That is the warning of outspoken 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve, following a difficult start to […]
  • 08/04/2019 Wolff calls Verstappen ‘repeatedly’ – Marko Apr.8 (GMM) Max Verstappen has emerged as a shock contender to switch to Mercedes in 2020. Dr Helmut Marko, the driver manager at Red Bull, has admitted to Auto Bild that Mercedes boss […]