Ocon confirms failed McLaren seat fitting

Aug.30 (GMM) Esteban Ocon has admitted he had a seat fitting at McLaren’s Woking factory.

Last week, it was rumoured the Frenchman could be ousted by Lance Stroll at Force India, but accommodated with immediate effect at McLaren.

However, it is believed the 2018 McLaren could not accommodate his 1.86m height.

“It’s true that I went and it’s true that that happened,” Ocon is quoted by Spain’s Marca.

It is an alarming turn of events for the talented Frenchman, who earlier looked set to join Renault for 2019.

“In Budapest we thought his future was clear,” said Mercedes’ Toto Wolff. “But it all changed within 48 hours.

“There is no point in complaining. Renault getting Ricciardo was a no-brainer. They had to go for it.

“It’s unfortunate for Esteban, but we are continuing to help him to find a seat. There is a lot of interest and I’m very optimistic about the future,” Wolff added.

Related News

  • 16/01/2019 Mercedes ‘blocked’ next Ocon move – Villeneuve Jan.16 (GMM) His links to Mercedes are both a blessing and a curse for Esteban Ocon. That is the claim of 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve, referring to Frenchman Ocon whose F1 […]
  • 17/09/2018 Ocon expects to keep seat for rest of season Sep.17 (GMM) Esteban Ocon says he should keep his Force India cockpit for the rest of the 2018 season. Earlier, there was speculation Lance Stroll could replace the Frenchman during the […]
  • 02/09/2018 Racing third Mercedes ‘would be fantastic’ – Ocon Sep.2 (GMM) Esteban Ocon agrees that introducing three cars per team would solve his problem in F1. With Lance Stroll set to move up to Force India, Frenchman Ocon could be left without […]
  • 22/07/2018 Ocon could switch to Renault in 2019 Jul.22 (GMM) Esteban Ocon has emerged as a serious contender to switch to Renault in 2019. It is believed he is the main candidate should Red Bull rescind its 'loan' to the French team […]
  • 28/07/2018 Abiteboul admits Renault could sign Ocon Jul.28 (GMM) Cyril Abiteboul has admitted that Renault could swap Carlos Sainz for Esteban Ocon in 2019. The French team has been saying all year that it is happy with Sainz, who is 'on […]
  • 11/07/2019 2020 race seat for Ocon ‘100pc’ sure – source Jul.11 (GMM) Esteban Ocon's chances of returning to the Formula 1 grid next year stand at "100 per cent". That is the claim of Matthew Carter, the former chief executive of the now […]
  • 26/06/2019 Wolff optimistic of finding seat for Ocon Jun.26 (GMM) Toto Wolff says he is "very optimistic" Esteban Ocon will return to the F1 grid next year. Ocon lost his race seat at Force India at the end of last year when Lawrence […]
  • 24/08/2018 ‘Silly season’ in overdrive at Spa Aug.24 (GMM) An earthquake is set to hit the F1 driver market. After the chequered flag waves on Sunday's Belgian grand prix, there could be a plethora of mid-season driver changes for […]
  • 03/10/2018 Ocon situation not Renault’s fault – Abiteboul Oct.3 (GMM) Cyril Abiteboul has hit back at rival team boss Toto Wolff over the plight of French driver Esteban Ocon. Recently, Wolff slammed the chiefs at Renault and McLaren for […]
  • 24/11/2018 Wolff denies 2020 seat guaranteed for Ocon Nov.24 (GMM) Toto Wolff has slammed suggestions he has already guaranteed Esteban Ocon the race seat at Mercedes for 2020. Furious about Ocon's clash with Max Verstappen in Brazil a […]