Aug.31 (GMM) Sergio Perez has played down speculation linking him with McLaren for 2019.
Earlier, it seemed clear that the Mexican, having participated in the legal moves that triggered the Lawrence Stroll takeover, was definitely staying at Force India.
But now, rumours are linking him with becoming Carlos Sainz’s teammate at McLaren next year.
Asked at Monza if his future is set for 2019, Perez answered: “Yes.”
“It’s a timing issue for the team. But where I’ll be, I know. They will make the announcement when and where they wish to do it.”
He would not say directly if he was referring to Racing Point Force India, but he did spoke openly about the prospect of being Lance Stroll’s teammate.
And Perez also indicated that the Stroll takeover is good news, as the Silverstone based team “has enormous potential and now a better budget”.
So when asked if he would accept an offer to return to McLaren, where he raced in 2013, Perez answered: “If I had guarantees that I could be competitive, and there was a great project behind everything, then why not?
“But I would have to know the details of their plans better, to understand the situation of the team.”
As for Force India and its future, the 28-year-old said: “There is no doubt that the best of this team is coming.
“The goal is to be a competitive team in the coming seasons and I think it is possible to even be among the top three,” Perez added.
He said Force India’s designers and engineers thrive because they don’t feel “a hand tightening around their necks if they get something wrong”.
“That is an important difference between us and some teams like Toyota, McLaren, Renault,” said Perez.
19/10/2018 Stroll investment will boost Force India – Perez Oct.19 (GMM) Sergio Perez thinks a cash injection will push Force India forwards in 2019.
Although it was an open secret in the F1 paddock, the Mexican was in Austin finally announced as […]
04/09/2016 Perez not confirming Force India stay rumours Sep.4 (GMM) Sergio Perez says his plans for the 2017 season are not quite ready to be revealed.
On Saturday, British television announced at Monza that the Mexican will definitely be […]
24/09/2015 Force India ends Perez-to-Renault rumours Sep.24 (GMM) Force India has ended speculation it may lose Sergio Perez and his Mexican backing to the new Renault works team in 2016. Reports this week suggested the 25-year-old could […]
17/03/2019 Racing Point is ‘my project’ – Perez Mar.17 (GMM) Sergio Perez says he sees Racing Point as his "project" in F1.
Earlier, the Mexican was targeting a return to a top team such as Ferrari. But last year, when he forced […]
09/06/2019 Perez defends Stroll and billionaire father Jun.9 (GMM) Sergio Perez has defended teammate Lance Stroll and the Canadian driver's billionaire father.
Last year, fashion mogul Lawrence Stroll bought the ailing Force India team, […]
26/04/2019 Perez eyes ‘big step forward’ for Barcelona Apr.26 (GMM) Racing Point should look more competitive at the forthcoming Spanish grand prix.
That is the view of Sergio Perez, who along with new teammate Lance Stroll has had a […]
08/02/2019 F1 ‘has gotten used to me’ – Perez Feb.8 (GMM) Sergio Perez is keen to make some noise with his performances in 2019.
Now 29, the Mexican is a F1 veteran, with over 150 grands prix to his name.
And yet, 2018 was a very […]
14/01/2019 Perez not worried about Lance Stroll as teammate Jan.14 (GMM) Sergio Perez says he is not worried about becoming the number 2 driver at the team formerly known as Force India.
The 28-year-old Mexican has been at the Silverstone based […]
08/09/2016 Perez staying amid Force India buyout rumours Sep.8 (GMM) Sergio Perez is staying with Force India, amid rumours in Mexico that his backers may even buy the Silverstone based team.
It is now considered an open secret that, despite […]