Perez rejected Renault move

Aug.20 (GMM) Sergio Perez says he rejected an offer to join Renault.

Renault will line up with Daniel Ricciardo alongside Nico Hulkenberg next year, but Mexican Perez says he could have already been with the French team.

“When you have no chance at Ferrari or Mercedes, I think Force India is a very interesting option,” he told Fox.

Perez was part of the move that saw Force India sold to a consortium led by Lance Stroll’s father Lawrence.

It is believed a new contract for the 28-year-old is due within days.

“I do not regret not signing with Renault, because in the last two years I was best of the rest. As a team we were in front of Renault in the constructors’ championship,” Perez said.

As for his new contract, Perez answered: “It’s a matter of days or weeks. The contract is there, it’s just the position of the team that must be clarified.

“The team is coming from a complex situation, but fortunately the 400 workers are all safe with a good investment that guarantees stability,” he added.

Related News

  • 19/10/2018 Stroll investment will boost Force India – Perez Oct.19 (GMM) Sergio Perez thinks a cash injection will push Force India forwards in 2019. Although it was an open secret in the F1 paddock, the Mexican was in Austin finally announced as […]
  • 26/04/2019 Perez eyes ‘big step forward’ for Barcelona Apr.26 (GMM) Racing Point should look more competitive at the forthcoming Spanish grand prix. That is the view of Sergio Perez, who along with new teammate Lance Stroll has had a […]
  • 03/11/2016 Overtaking may be harder in 2017 – Perez Nov.3 (GMM) Sergio Perez is not so sure F1's new regulations will deliver on their full promise next year. To deliver a more spectacular product to the public, the cars will be faster […]
  • 17/03/2019 Racing Point is ‘my project’ – Perez Mar.17 (GMM) Sergio Perez says he sees Racing Point as his "project" in F1. Earlier, the Mexican was targeting a return to a top team such as Ferrari. But last year, when he forced […]
  • 04/09/2016 Perez not confirming Force India stay rumours Sep.4 (GMM) Sergio Perez says his plans for the 2017 season are not quite ready to be revealed. On Saturday, British television announced at Monza that the Mexican will definitely be […]
  • 27/10/2016 Perez waiting for Ferrari switch – Hulkenberg Oct.27 (GMM) Sergio Perez turned down Renault for 2017 because he is probably holding out for Ferrari. That is the view of the Mexican's current Force India teammate Nico Hulkenberg, who […]
  • 29/09/2016 Now Hulkenberg linked with Force India exit Sep.29 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg on Thursday reacted with surprise to rumours linking him with a surprise switch to Renault. And he is not the only Force India driver linked with Renault for […]
  • 02/10/2016 Perez staying at Force India Oct.2 (GMM) The saga of Sergio Perez's future appears to be ending, with authoritative sources reporting that the Mexican is staying put at Force India. The 26-year-old had been linked […]
  • 26/08/2016 Perez plays down Renault sponsor clash Aug.26 (GMM) Sergio Perez has played down suggestions a clash of sponsors could thwart his next move in formula one. It is believed the on-form Mexican is toying with a move from Force […]
  • 30/08/2018 Perez not judging future teammate Stroll Aug.30 (GMM) Sergio Perez isn't sure what to make of Lance Stroll. It is strongly rumoured that, after Sunday's Italian grand prix, Stroll will make the switch to Force India. The […]