Four candidates for second McLaren seat

Sep.2 (GMM) Zak Brown has named four candidates who are in the running to race the second McLaren in 2019.

The Woking team has already signed up Carlos Sainz, but now Stoffel Vandoorne is in danger of losing the other place.

Recently, it was rumoured that McLaren could ‘give’ its junior Lando Norris to Toro Rosso for 2019, in exchange for Red Bull letting James Key start work at McLaren early.

But at Monza, Brown said Norris is actually in the running for a McLaren seat.

“Lando is developing well with us and has done a great job in the practice sessions in Belgium and Italy,” he said.

“He is on our list of potential drivers that has only four names on it: Lando, Stoffel, Esteban Ocon and Sergio Perez.”

Perez is a surprise candidate, given that the Mexican declared at Monza that he already knows the identity of his 2019 employer.

“We have not made a deal with anyone,” Brown said.

“I don’t know what Sergio has signed and with whom, but the driver market is on the move and we want to keep all our options open.”

Related News

  • 10/07/2019 McLaren announced 2020 drivers to stop ‘speculation’ Jul.10 (GMM) McLaren has announced its 2020 driver lineup with 12 races left to run this season in order to avoid "speculation". That is the admission of the British team's supremo Zak […]
  • 27/07/2018 No early release to McLaren for James Key – Marko Jul.27 (GMM) Red Bull says it will not give James Key an early release from his duties at Toro Rosso. Earlier in Hungary, McLaren announced that Briton Key is joining the struggling […]
  • 30/07/2018 Vandoorne axe within 2018 ‘unlikely’ – Brown Jul.30 (GMM) The driver 'silly season' is racing on. In Hungary, rumours continued to gain strength that Carlos Sainz will be ousted by Renault, and replaced for 2019 by Esteban […]
  • 20/08/2018 Ticktum not denying Toro Rosso rumour Aug.20 (GMM) Dan Ticktum has given a strong hint that he might be about to make his move into formula one. In July, Red Bull wanted the 19-year-old F3 driver to replace Brendon Hartley […]
  • 28/01/2016 Toro Rosso on schedule despite Ferrari switch – Key Jan.28 (GMM) Toro Rosso is "on schedule" for the 2016 season, despite the late change of engine supplier. That is the claim of the Faenza team's technical boss James Key, after parent […]
  • 30/07/2018 Brown not sure when James Key will start work Jul.30 (GMM) Zak Brown says he does not know when James Key will start work as McLaren's new technical director. Toro Rosso owner Red Bull says it will not let the British engineer go, […]
  • 10/09/2018 Perez denies McLaren was 2019 option Sep.10 (GMM) Sergio Perez has denied that McLaren was ever a serious option for him for 2019. Recently, McLaren's Zak Brown mentioned the Mexican as being on the list of potential […]
  • 27/05/2016 Toro Rosso wants up-to-date engines for 2017 May 27 (GMM) Toro Rosso is moving to receive up-to-date engines from Ferrari in 2017. This year, after the collapse of the semi-works relationship between team owner Red Bull and […]
  • 05/09/2018 Vandoorne not speaking after McLaren axe Sep.5 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne is not yet commenting to the media about McLaren's decision to dump him for 2019. Once McLaren's highly promising development driver, the 26-year-old is […]
  • 13/06/2018 McLaren would loan Norris to rival team Jun.13 (GMM) Zak Brown says he would loan Lando Norris to another formula one team for experience. Recently, Formula 2 championship leader Norris - a McLaren junior driver - was linked […]