Raikkonen could buy into Sauber – Salo

Sep.12 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen will keep his F1 career alive for another two seasons at least, despite losing his place at Ferrari to youngster Charles Leclerc.

The 38-year-old has been signed up by Sauber, the small Swiss team where he started his career way back in 2001.

“I heard about this possibility already at Monza,” former team owner and boss Peter Sauber told Blick newspaper.

“That is happens is a great signal for the team and the fans,” he added.

Sauber thinks it is the changes made at the team, such as the alliance with Alfa Romeo and the new management headed by Frederic Vasseur, that convinced Raikkonen to join.

“A year ago he probably would not have taken this step,” said Peter Sauber.

Still, the Finn will be 41 when this new contract ends, while “There are 18 year old guys out there,” noted former F1 driver Mika Salo.

But he thinks Raikkonen will be good for Sauber despite his age.

“F1 is a business, and Kimi’s name brings sponsors, finances and a better financial base. It’s a big deal for Sauber,” said Salo.

It could also work out for Raikkonen himself, the former Sauber driver said.

“As expectations are not terribly high, he can race without pressure,” Salo told C More broadcaster. “Maybe he can drive a bit more relaxed.

“There are also a few stories around that Kimi would like to buy into Sauber as well,” he added.

“In my opinion this is about more than just driving,” Salo said.

Related News

  • 15/11/2018 Raikkonen ‘not worried’ about Sauber move Nov.15 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen says he is not worrying about his step back to the Sauber team for 2019. The Finn and 2007 world champion is being replaced at Ferrari by Charles Leclerc, […]
  • 18/02/2019 Peter Sauber to watch Alfa Romeo testing Feb.18 (GMM) Peter Sauber will be on-hand to witness the first day of testing since his name was dropped from the official title of the Swiss based F1 team. Although Sauber Motorsport […]
  • 02/09/2017 Sauber poised to make announcement Sep.2 (GMM) Sauber is poised to make a key announcement about the future. The F1 rumour mill at Monza says the Swiss team will confirm either that Ferrari junior Charles Leclerc is […]
  • 15/01/2018 Sauber to become Alfa Romeo works team – Vasseur Jan.15 (GMM) Sauber could eventually become a full works Alfa Romeo team. That is the vision of the Swiss team's boss Frederic Vasseur, when asked by France's Auto Hebdo about the new […]
  • 11/01/2019 Arrivabene linked with Sauber role Jan.11 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen thinks Sauber can do "great things" from 2019. The Swiss team took a big step forward last year with its up-to-date Ferrari engine, leadership by Frederic […]
  • 24/09/2018 Sauber set to name Raikkonen teammate Sep.24 (GMM) Sauber boss Frederic Vasseur has denied that taking on Kimi Raikkonen for 2019 is part of the Swiss team's deal with Ferrari. Sauber is now a steadily improving midfield […]
  • 22/07/2018 Giovinazzi shapes up for Sauber seat Jul.22 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi has emerged as the big favourite to drive for Sauber in 2019. The rumour stepped up a notch at Hockenheim, where he drove for the Swiss team in Friday […]
  • 21/03/2018 Sauber will be lucky to score points – Vasseur Mar.21 (GMM) Frederic Vasseur has admitted that Sauber will be lucky to score points in 2018. Days ago, rookie driver Charles Leclerc said his goal for the new season was to score points […]
  • 23/11/2017 Sauber set for driver, Alfa Romeo announcements Nov.23 (GMM) Sauber is shaping up to make announcements this week in Abu Dhabi. It is expected that Pascal Wehrlein will leave the Swiss team after Sunday's 2017 finale in Abu Dhabi, to […]
  • 19/02/2018 Leclerc relishes F1 debut for ‘Alfa’ Feb.19 (GMM) Charles Leclerc says he is relishing his new role as a works 'Alfa' driver. The reigning Formula 2 champion has been signed up for 2018 by Sauber, the Swiss team now run by […]