Sep.24 (GMM) Sauber boss Frederic Vasseur has denied that taking on Kimi Raikkonen for 2019 is part of the Swiss team’s deal with Ferrari.
Sauber is now a steadily improving midfield team backed by Alfa Romeo, a Fiat brand. This year it ran Ferrari junior Charles Leclerc, and for 2019 Antonio Giovinazzi is tipped to take over that cockpit.
But when asked if Ferrari refugee Raikkonen is also coming to Sauber with Ferrari links, Vasseur told Neue Zurcher Zeitung newspaper: “No, it has nothing to do with it.
“When Kimi realised that he would not be with Ferrari, he looked to the relationship that he already had with us.
“There was a phone call and then we met and, like me, Kimi likes to get straight to the point. It was a very, very fast deal. Less than four days,” he added.
Vasseur admitted that Giovinazzi and Marcus Ericsson are at the top of the list for the other cockpit.
“It’s a short list, that’s right,” he smiled.
“We have been busy getting Kimi on board but this week we will take care of the second driver.”
He admitted that Raikkonen will struggle to match the results he has achieved with Ferrari, but said Hinwil based Sauber is rapidly improving.
“Last year in Singapore we were five seconds behind, now it’s just two. That’s a huge leap in this sport,” said Vasseur.
“The key for us was Alfa Romeo. Without them we would not have been able to get Raikkonen or the Ferrari technical director Simone de Resta. It was our step from a private team to a team associated with a manufacturer.
“Nevertheless, we will remain independent,” he insisted.
15/12/2017 Giovinazzi not giving up after Sauber snub Dec.15 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi says he is keeping his chin up despite missing out on the Sauber seat for 2018. His fellow Ferrari junior Charles Leclerc is making the full-time step up […]
23/11/2017 Sauber set for driver, Alfa Romeo announcements Nov.23 (GMM) Sauber is shaping up to make announcements this week in Abu Dhabi. It is expected that Pascal Wehrlein will leave the Swiss team after Sunday's 2017 finale in Abu Dhabi, to […]
06/12/2017 Keeping Sauber secret ‘difficult’ – Leclerc Dec.6 (GMM) Charles Leclerc admits it was "difficult" to keep F1's worst kept secret in the second half of the 2017 season. Most F1 insiders suspected the Monaco-born 20-year-old would […]
13/09/2018 Giovinazzi on pole for second Sauber seat Sep.13 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi has emerged on pole position to be Kimi Raikkonen's teammate at Sauber next year. Currently, the Ferrari-bound Charles Leclerc's teammate at the Swiss […]
12/09/2018 Raikkonen could buy into Sauber – Salo Sep.12 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen will keep his F1 career alive for another two seasons at least, despite losing his place at Ferrari to youngster Charles Leclerc. The 38-year-old has been […]
29/09/2017 Wehrlein more optimistic about F1 future Sep.28 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein thinks his chances of staying in F1 next year are now "quite good". Earlier, the Mercedes-backed German seemed resigned to losing his place at Sauber, as the […]
22/09/2017 Sauber tipped to choose drivers ‘soon’ Sep.22 (GMM) Sauber will reportedly make the call about its 2018 driver lineup soon. Earlier, it looked certain Pascal Wehrlein would lose his seat as team engine supplier Ferrari brings […]
05/12/2017 Ericsson ‘nervous’ before 2018 deal signed Dec.5 (GMM) Marcus Ericsson has admitted he had "a few nervous weeks" before he was re-signed by Sauber for 2018. The Swede was out-scored this year by his teammate Pascal Wehrlein, who […]
13/02/2017 Giovinazzi not denying Friday practice rumours Feb.13 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi has refused to dismiss speculation he might be in line for some Friday practice outings this season. The Italian, who was the runner-up in GP2 last year, […]
29/07/2017 Sauber not ruling out Ferrari-linked driver Jul.29 (GMM) Sauber is not ready to think about its 2018 driver lineup. That is the view of the Swiss team's brand new boss Frederic Vasseur, as he attends his first grand prix in Sauber […]