Ocon looks set to sit out 2019 season

Oct.27 (GMM) Esteban Ocon looks increasingly likely to sit out the 2019 season.

Toto Wolff, the Mercedes boss, said the Frenchman’s chances of securing the second place at Williams for 2019 are “minimal”.

“Over the past two months the situation has not changed,” he said. “We are already thinking about 2020.

“Esteban will help us with the Mercedes car, and then we’ll see what awaits him.”

Mercedes successfully placed its other development driver, George Russell, at Williams for 2019. But Wolff said it is a “completely different situation” for Ocon, who has lost his seat at Force India.

“Perhaps it will be good for him to miss a year and return to a competitive car,” he said.

The big rumour is that the ‘competitive car’ could be Valtteri Bottas’ seat at Mercedes.

The Finn has struggled, particularly in the second half of 2018.

“I have lost a lot of points this year and in the second half I never finished ahead of Lewis (Hamilton),” Bottas acknowledged in Mexico.

“But I don’t think I am really 130 points behind him. The difference between us is much smaller. I know it and so does the team,” he added.

Related News

  • 31/07/2019 Williams says Russell ‘going nowhere’ for 2020 Jul.31 (GMM) Williams is not going to let George Russell flee to the Mercedes works team without a fight. At Hockenheim, Toto Wolff suggested that Valtteri Bottas' 2020 seat is not […]
  • 29/06/2019 No Mercedes driver decision until summer break Jun.29 (GMM) Toto Wolff says Mercedes will think about its 2020 driver lineup after the summer break. Lewis Hamilton is staying, but there is a big question mark about the identity of […]
  • 04/08/2019 Russell better off at Williams for now – Wolff Aug.4 (GMM) Toto Wolff has ruled George Russell out of the running for the seat alongside Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes next year. Earlier, team boss Wolff had already admitted that […]
  • 15/09/2018 Wolff slams F1 bosses over Ocon exit Sep.15 (GMM) Toto Wolff has lashed out at his fellow F1 team bosses for getting in the way of young drivers' futures. The Mercedes chief is astonished that other bosses have not […]
  • 12/05/2018 Mercedes opens door to Ricciardo May 12 (GMM) Toto Wolff has opened the door to Daniel Ricciardo at Mercedes. Earlier, the Mercedes boss appeared to rule out the Australian for 2019, saying: "If you're happy with your […]
  • 02/08/2019 Russell admits 2020 Mercedes seat ‘unlikely’ Aug.2 (GMM) George Russell has admitted that a 2020 seat at Mercedes is "unlikely". That is despite the fact that, alongside Esteban Ocon, he is one of the German marque's top […]
  • 08/08/2019 Wolff would help Bottas find alternative F1 seat Aug.8 (GMM) Toto Wolff says he would help Valtteri Bottas find a new seat in 2020 if Mercedes lets the Finn go. The Mercedes boss says he will use the August break to decide between […]
  • 01/05/2017 Bottas starts bid for 2018 Mercedes contract May 1 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas' hopes of securing a new contract beyond 2017 took a big step forwards in Russia. In his fourth race since switching from Williams to Mercedes, and amid […]
  • 02/09/2018 Racing third Mercedes ‘would be fantastic’ – Ocon Sep.2 (GMM) Esteban Ocon agrees that introducing three cars per team would solve his problem in F1. With Lance Stroll set to move up to Force India, Frenchman Ocon could be left without […]
  • 02/04/2019 ‘Invisible’ Bottas feels ‘zero pressure’ Apr.2 (GMM) Like the roundly-criticised Sebastian Vettel, Valtteri Bottas has also denied feeling the pressure in 2019. After a disappointing 2018 season, the Mercedes driver emerged […]