Alonso plays down chances of F1 return

Nov.26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has played down expectations he might return to formula one in 2020.

The Spaniard was warmly farewelled by the sport in Abu Dhabi, but when pressed, Alonso stressed that it was “goodbye for now” rather than farewell.

However, the double world champion suggested fans should not necessarily expect his comeback in 2020.

“Going back to F1? Only I could motivate myself, I think I would not need any message or signal to be able to return,” he told Movistar.

“The idea is that this is my last race and that this career in formula one is over. I would need to feel very empty next year on the couch and miss it so much that I would consider returning.

“It is not the idea for now but we’ll see what happens,” Alonso added.

Related News

  • 28/10/2016 Alonso wants ‘truth’ behind Dennis rumours Oct.28 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he will understand within weeks what is going on in the McLaren boardroom. At the moment, there are strong rumours that team supremo Ron Dennis is […]
  • 25/10/2018 Alonso may consider Formula E move – Massa Oct.25 (GMM) Fernando Alonso's former F1 teammate Felipe Massa thinks the Spaniard could seriously consider a move to Formula E. Alonso, who is quitting F1 after the Abu Dhabi finale […]
  • 30/10/2015 Mercedes will not be beaten ‘in short term’ – Alonso Oct.30 (GMM) Honda will need to "copy" its rivals if it wants to speed up the process of getting on the pace in F1. That is the claim of Fernando Alonso, the frustrated Spaniard who […]
  • 23/11/2018 Vandoorne hopeful about F1 future Nov.23 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne is hopeful about his future in formula one. That is despite the fact that Abu Dhabi is his last race with McLaren prior to switching to Formula E for […]
  • 16/05/2017 Button not ruling out F1 return May 16 (GMM) Jenson Button is not ruling out a full-time return to formula one. Last year, despite the F1 veteran inking a new two-year contract with McLaren, the Briton said the 2016 […]
  • 05/09/2016 Villeneuve no longer Raikkonen critic Sep.5 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve says he is no longer a critic of Kimi Raikkonen. Earlier, the 1997 world champion regularly hit out at the performance and questionable motivation of the […]
  • 05/01/2018 Alonso ‘very bad politically’ – Piquet Jan.5 (GMM) Former F1 driver Nelson Piquet says Fernando Alonso is to blame for his lack of success over the past decade. Alonso became F1's youngest double world champion by 2006, but […]
  • 08/09/2016 Vandoorne wants to beat Alonso in 2017 Sep.8 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne insists he is looking forward to going up against Fernando Alonso next year at McLaren. It was announced at Monza that the 24-year-old Belgian rookie will […]
  • 08/09/2016 Vandoorne wants to beat Alonso in 2017 Sep.8 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne insists he is looking forward to going up against Fernando Alonso next year at McLaren. It was announced at Monza that the 24-year-old Belgian rookie will […]
  • 03/09/2016 F1 will always survive ‘worse times’ – Alonso Sep.3 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says F1 will survive, even if the sport does not dramatically improve the spectacle in the coming years. The Spaniard has warned that, unless the 2017 rules […]