Brazilian ready for McLaren reserve role

Nov.8 (GMM) Sergio Sette Camara says he is ready for formula one.

The 20-year-old Brazilian driver, who will stay in Formula 2 next year, will also be a McLaren test driver in 2019.

He is backed by team sponsor Petrobras but insists Brazilian drivers are still “taken seriously” in F1.

“We are recognised as a country that produces good drivers, even though we do not have as strong an economy as the Europeans,” Sette Camara told Brazil’s Globo.

McLaren said he will have a test and development role, but he may also be on call in case Carlos Sainz or Lando Norris cannot race.

Asked if he is ready for a grand prix, Sette Camara answered: “I believe so.

“I think you need a few days of testing to face a race weekend with a formula one car, but with some caution, I could do it.

“In the end it’s still a formula car, and the F2 car is already fast. Of course it’s one more step, but I think I would have it under control,” he said.

Related News

  • 07/08/2017 McLaren wants same drivers in 2018 – Norris Aug.7 (GMM) Lando Norris has calmed speculation he could be about to burst into formula one. The 17-year-old Briton, who is a McLaren junior driver, staked a claim on future F1 […]
  • 28/02/2019 Alonso admits 2020 return possible Feb.28 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has admitted he could return to formula one in 2020. During his visit to the Circuit de Catalunya for pre-season testing, McLaren announced that the former […]
  • 27/11/2017 Petrobras to sponsor McLaren in 2018 – rumour Nov.27 (GMM) McLaren looks set to secure a significant new sponsor for 2018. Earlier this year, we reported that with Petrobras leaving Williams, the Brazilian oil multinational could […]
  • 20/10/2018 Brazilian to be McLaren reserve in 2019 – report Oct.20 (GMM) Formula 2 driver Sergio Sette Camara looks set to enter F1 for 2019. The Globo broadcaster reports that the 20-year-old Brazilian is expected to become McLaren's third […]
  • 01/03/2019 McLaren drivers back driving role for Alonso Mar.1 (GMM) McLaren's race drivers do not have a problem with Fernando Alonso testing their car in 2019. Alonso, who quit the team and sport at the end of last year but is now a test […]
  • 21/08/2018 ‘No doubt’ Vandoorne keeping 2018 seat – manager Aug.21 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne's manager has dismissed speculation the Belgian is set to be ousted by McLaren. Amid rumours the British team wants to sign Lando Norris to be Carlos […]
  • 11/09/2017 McLaren will not loan Norris to rival team Sep.11 (GMM) Zak Brown says McLaren will not loan Lando Norris to another F1 team. Briton Norris, the 17-year-old star of European F3, is tipped for a bright future in F1 and already […]
  • 23/01/2019 Norris wants to beat Sainz in 2019 Jan.23 (GMM) Lando Norris has admitted he wants to beat his teammate Carlos Sainz in 2019. The British rookie is making his debut this year alongside Spaniard Sainz, who debuted for Toro […]
  • 02/01/2019 Norris to be given time to shine – Brown Jan.2 (GMM) Lando Norris will be given time to shine at McLaren, according to the British team's boss. The struggling British team has just ousted Stoffel Vandoorne, who made his debut […]
  • 13/05/2016 Ferrari engine only Sauber update in Spain – Nasr May 13 (GMM) Sauber's only update for the Spanish grand prix is a new Ferrari engine specification. That is the news of Brazilian driver Felipe Nasr, amid the Swiss team's obvious […]