Hockenheim not worried about Dutch GP

Nov.28 (GMM) A German GP official says he is not worried about news that The Netherlands could host a F1 race once again.

De Telegraaf newspaper reports that talks between Zandvoort and Liberty Media are advanced, and centre around a place on the 2020 calendar.

But for Hockenheim, a race in Holland simply means European competition — particularly when so many Dutch fans now attend the German grand prix to see Max Verstappen.

Hockenheim marketing boss Jorn Teske insists he is not worried.

“The Hockenheimring is very special and I think many Dutch people will visit both races,” he told the Dutch publication Formule 1.

And Teske thinks the novelty of a Dutch race will wear off after a year anyway.

“In the beginning, many people would go because it is special and the race is returning after so many years,” said the Hockenheim official.

“But that effect disappears in the long run. Just look at Austria, where the success became less over time.”

Teske also warned Dutch officials not to rely too heavily on the ‘Max Verstappen factor’.

“It is dangerous if the success of an event depends on one driver,” he said.

Related News

  • 13/05/2019 Bratches to join Carey for Dutch GP announcement May 13 (GMM) This week looks set to stage good news for the Dutch GP in Zandvoort. We reported at the weekend that Chase Carey is heading to the Netherlands this week to sign and […]
  • 19/07/2017 Former PM hopes for Dutch GP return Jul.19 (GMM) Former Dutch prime minister Jan Peter Balkenende says he hopes Max Verstappen can help power The Netherlands' return to the F1 calendar. Recently, there have been rumours […]
  • 02/11/2018 Vietnam, Netherlands step towards F1 in 2020 Nov.2 (GMM) Vietnam has taken a big step towards being on the 2020 F1 calendar. The People's Committee of Hanoi, the capital of the Asian country, has issued an invitation to an event […]
  • 13/06/2019 Politician wants grid girls on Dutch GP grid Jun.13 (GMM) A Dutch parliamentarian wants grid girls to be on the Zandvoort grid next year. Early last year, F1 owner Liberty Media controversially banned grid girls from every grand […]
  • 09/11/2018 Verstappen not excited about Dutch GP yet Nov.9 (GMM) Max Verstappen is not getting excited about reports the Netherlands could return to the F1 calendar. It is reported that Zandvoort has been offered a potential place on the […]
  • 16/11/2018 Dutch GP preparations to take ‘years’ Nov.16 (GMM) Belgian grand prix boss Andre Maes doubts the Netherlands can quickly put together an F1 project. After 35 years promoting the iconic race at Spa-Francorchamps, promoter […]
  • 05/11/2018 Efforts begin to raise Dutch GP funding Nov.5 (GMM) Efforts have begun to raise the money needed to organise a Dutch grand prix for 2020. It is reported that Zandvoort has been selected by Liberty Media as the venue for the […]
  • 08/02/2019 Zandvoort says Assen not Dutch GP alternative Feb.8 (GMM) There will be a Dutch GP in "Zandvoort, or not at all". That is the claim of Jan Lammers, a former F1 driver who is now the spokesperson for a potential 2020 return to the […]
  • 15/03/2018 Zandvoort boss plays down F1 chances Mar.15 (GMM) Zandvoort owner Bernhard van Oranje has admitted that a Dutch grand prix at the circuit is unlikely. In recent months, reports have suggested The Netherlands could be vying […]
  • 20/12/2017 Assen tackles Zandvoort for Dutch GP Dec.20 (GMM) The Assen circuit has emerged as a viable alternative host for a future return of the Dutch grand prix. With Max Verstappen's popularity, speculation is rising that the […]