Renault sets podium target for 2019

Nov.30 (GMM) Outgoing Renault racing president Jerome Stoll has set the target of a podium for the French works team in 2019.

Renault had targeted getting closer to the top three teams this year, and although fourth overall, team officials and drivers admitted the performance and development could have been better.

Stoll, who is retiring on December 31, said Renault underestimated how difficult it would be after buying Lotus in late 2015.

“We largely underestimated the state in which the team was in,” he told France’s Auto Hebdo.

“Many people had left, very little investment had been made. We knew it was going to be difficult, but we ended up in a much more difficult situation than expected,” he added.

But Stoll said Renault has been making huge efforts to restructure the team for the future.

“Thanks to Cyril Abiteboul, who has been able to give the impetus, we are a team with a very special identity and it is something that makes me proud,” he said.

“We were ninth in 2016, sixth last year and fourth this year, which is a first step in which we have set up all the foundations,” said Stoll. “The next step for Renault is the podium.”

Related News

  • 22/12/2015 Renault to announce team details in February Dec.22 (GMM) Renault is not yet ready to announce all the details of its return to full works team status in formula one. But the deal has at least now been officially done, with the […]
  • 04/07/2017 No Renault wins until 2019 – Abiteboul Jul.4 (GMM) Cyril Abiteboul has admitted that Renault might not be winning races by next year. After buying the failing Lotus team, the French marque struggled in 2016 but has restored […]
  • 13/01/2017 Vasseur won’t be replaced – Abiteboul Jan.13 (GMM) Renault will not be "weakened" by the departure of team boss Frederic Vasseur. That is the claim of Cyril Abiteboul, who as managing director might now be seen as the […]
  • 05/12/2018 Renault can close engine gap for 2019 – Abiteboul Dec.5 (GMM) Cyril Abiteboul says he is not sure that Renault is ready to take on Red Bull in 2019. The French works team was fourth overall in 2018, but a long way behind the top three […]
  • 15/04/2019 ‘Multi-year job’ to catch top teams – Abiteboul Apr.15 (GMM) Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul says the French team is in the middle of a "multi-year" task to catch the big three teams. The comments come after China, where despite making […]
  • 14/01/2019 Renault ‘attack years’ begin in 2019 – Budkowski Jan.14 (GMM) Renault is about to begin "three years of attack". That is the view of Marcin Budkowski, the French works team's new executive director. Last year he caused a paddock stir […]
  • 10/05/2019 Renault knew 2019 strategy was risky – Stoll May 10 (GMM) Renault Sport president Jerome Stoll said the French marque "knew" it could find itself in a difficult situation in 2019. He said the works team made a conscious decision to […]
  • 15/03/2016 Renault not spending more as works team – Stoll Mar.15 (GMM) Renault is apparently not having to spend much more on its formula one programme despite returning to full works status in 2016. As well as supplying Red Bull once again […]
  • 19/12/2015 No budget increase for works Renault team – Stoll Dec.19 (GMM) Jerome Stoll, the Renault Sport chairman, has dismissed reports the French carmaker is ramping up its annual F1 budget. The reports had suggested that after only supplying […]
  • 21/09/2018 Beating top teams ‘ridiculous’ goal – Budkowski Sep.21 (GMM) Renault is not ready to charge for the world title. That is the admission of Marcin Budkowski, a former leading FIA official who has controversially switched to the French […]