F1 tracks eye end to Liberty dispute

The boss of a big group of current F1 race promoters says he is confident their dispute with Liberty Media will be resolved.

Led by Silverstone’s Stuart Pringle, the group of 16 circuits this week warned that they could pull out of the sport if concerns about the Liberty reign are not addressed.

The group, calling itself the Formula One Promoters’ Association and believed to be most concerned about the race fees paid to Liberty, has now met with the F1 owner.

One source said that at the meeting, F1 chief executive Chase Carey seemed “wounded”.

“There is every indication the message has been received,” Pringle told the BBC.

“We were frustrated that we felt we had no option but to take this sort of action. But actually we have had a very positive day.”

Related News

  • 05/12/2018 No British GP ‘at any price’ – Silverstone Dec.5 (GMM) A cloud still hangs over the future of the British grand prix at Silverstone. Last year, the circuit triggered a break clause in its contract with Liberty Media for financial […]
  • 11/03/2019 Silverstone future still in doubt – Brawn Mar.11 (GMM) Silverstone's F1 future remains in doubt. Rolling the dice on renegotiating their contract with a lower annual fee, organisers of the British grand prix have terminated the […]
  • 12/02/2019 Russian promoter slams Silverstone boss Feb.12 (GMM) Russia has distanced itself from a group of F1 circuits who are threatening to quit formula one. A statement highly critical of Liberty Media that was issued by the […]
  • 29/01/2019 Race promoters threaten to quit F1 calendar A group of F1 race promoters are preparing to confront the sport's owner Liberty Media. Led by Silverstone, the race officials are angry with Liberty over the handling of their contracts, […]
  • 08/05/2019 Silverstone sure new surface to be ready for F1 May 8 (GMM) Silverstone is "confident" a brand new track surface will be ready for July's British grand prix. The Guardian reports that F1's governing body ordered the work be done after […]
  • 03/05/2018 Carey wants new F1 deal with Barcelona May 3 (GMM) Chase Carey says he would commit F1 to the Barcelona circuit "almost forever". But that doesn't mean a new contract will be agreed between the organisers of the current […]
  • 06/06/2017 Liberty making broadcasters ‘unsettled’ – Ecclestone Jun.6 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone has questioned his successor's apparent 'all change' approach to running F1. With the Liberty Media takeover, long-time F1 supremo Ecclestone, 86, was […]
  • 30/04/2017 F1 to better arrange calendar – Carey Apr.30 (GMM) F1's new owners are working on a plan to better organise the annual race calendar in future. In recent seasons, the ever-expanding calendar has been criticised for the […]
  • 09/02/2018 F1 will still feature ‘pretty girls’ – Carey Feb.9 (GMM) Chase Carey has revealed he was not opposed to the concept of F1 'grid girls'. The sport's new owner Liberty Media has been widely criticised for ending the decades-long […]
  • 14/11/2018 Carey defends ending F1 betting sponsorship ban Nov.14 (GMM) Chase Carey has defended F1's move into the world of gambling. For four decades, former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone did not allow any betting sponsorships. But now under […]