Alonso ‘may’ attend Barcelona test – McLaren

Feb.20 (GMM) McLaren says Fernando Alonso will “maybe” be trackside at the Barcelona test next week.

Earlier, there was speculation the now retired-from-F1 Spaniard could actually test for the Woking team this winter.

Spanish reports, however, said those claims were wide of the mark, even if Alonso will be in the city for the Mobile World Congress event next week.

“Fernando is part of the McLaren family,” sporting director Gil de Ferran told El Mundo Deportivo newspaper. “Maybe he’ll come here next week.”

Related News

  • 17/01/2015 No Telefonica deal for McLaren Jan.17 (GMM) Telefonica has ruled out becoming McLaren's title sponsor. The famous British team raced throughout 2014 without a title backer, following the withdrawal of Vodafone. But […]
  • 14/02/2019 No winter testing for Alonso Feb.14 (GMM) Fernando Alonso will not test McLaren's 2019 car in the forthcoming winter tests. Although the Spaniard retired from F1 at the end of last year, McLaren boss Zak Brown said […]
  • 02/03/2015 Alonso entourage suspects car failure – report Mar.2 (GMM) A second week has begun with the saga surrounding Fernando Alonso's testing crash still high in the headlines. The most important issue, of course, is the McLaren-Honda […]
  • 11/02/2019 McLaren not confirming Alonso test yet Feb.11 (GMM) Gil de Ferran is not confirming that Fernando Alonso will test for McLaren in the forthcoming Barcelona tests. In the past hours, the recently retired-from-F1 Spaniard has […]
  • 07/07/2018 Vandoorne sidesteps McLaren future rumours Jul.7 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne has dismissed as "part of formula one" a run of paddock rumours about him. Earlier, it seemed possible that the British team would oust the Belgian, who has […]
  • 25/02/2015 Alonso ‘going home to rest’ – report Feb.25 (GMM) After three nights in hospital and amid swirling speculation about his testing crash, Fernando Alonso is finally going home. That was the claim on Wednesday of the Spanish […]
  • 31/01/2019 Sainz ‘excited’ to test 2019 McLaren car Carlos Sainz is "very excited" to get up and running in McLaren's 2019 car. The Spanish driver has moved from the Renault works team to the once-great McLaren team, which struggled […]
  • 01/03/2019 McLaren drivers back driving role for Alonso Mar.1 (GMM) McLaren's race drivers do not have a problem with Fernando Alonso testing their car in 2019. Alonso, who quit the team and sport at the end of last year but is now a test […]
  • 21/08/2018 ‘No doubt’ Vandoorne keeping 2018 seat – manager Aug.21 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne's manager has dismissed speculation the Belgian is set to be ousted by McLaren. Amid rumours the British team wants to sign Lando Norris to be Carlos […]
  • 26/05/2018 Alonso to Indycar rumour emerges May 26 (GMM) The next rumour regarding Fernando Alonso's future has emerged in the Monaco paddock. Earlier, with McLaren's Zak Brown saying he wants to keep the Spaniard, it emerged that […]