Dutch circuits ‘still in race’ for 2020 GP

Feb.6 (GMM) Two Dutch circuits are reportedly “still in the race” to secure a place on the 2020 grid.

RTL Nieuws, a Dutch broadcaster, has leaked a letter from F1 chief executive Chase Carey to officials at the Zandvoort circuit.

The letter said that if Liberty Media and Zandvoort do not conclude a 2020 race deal by 31 March, there are no other Dutch circuits also in the running.

But Assen promoter Lee Van Dam told De Telegraaf newspaper that his team is “keeping our spirits up”.

“We are definitely still in the race to bring formula one in 2020,” he insisted.

“We had contact with FOM last week and we will be at the table again soon,” Van Dam said. “They are straight with us, so if we were no longer a party, they would have told us respectfully.”

Bruno Bruins, a federal minister in the Netherlands, wrote in a letter to parliament that the government “will not contribute financially” to a Dutch grand prix.

Reports say Zandvoort had asked the federal government for an annual contribution of EUR 7 million. But Bruins said the prospect of a Dutch grand prix “does not justify the use of tax resources”.

“This is a commercial sporting event where the rights are in the hands of a listed American company,” he added, explaining that government funds are therefore “neither necessary nor justified”.

However, Bruins said Zandvoort is in talks with a number of Dutch companies, with existing F1 sponsor Heineken reportedly among those interested.

The minister also claimed that Zandvoort already has an “agreement in principle” with Liberty Media for three years between 2020-2022.

Bruins said the government is willing to support the grand prix in other ways, because it is a “nice initiative”.

Related News

  • 20/11/2017 Gov’t not involved in Dutch GP bid yet Nov.20 (GMM) Dutch sports minister Bruno Bruins says the government will "wait" before getting involved in a grand prix bid. Last week, a feasibility study concluded that there is "no […]
  • 11/05/2019 Sao Paulo not giving up on F1 May 11 (GMM) Sao Paulo governor Joao Doria says he is not giving up on the Brazilian grand prix. The country's president Jair Bolsonaro announced days ago that Rio de Janeiro will build […]
  • 26/06/2019 Zandvoort boss plays down Dutch GP doubts Jun.26 (GMM) Zandvoort boss Robert van Overdijk has played down concerns about the circuit's place on the 2020 calendar. Although a contract between the promoter and Liberty Media has […]
  • 13/06/2019 Politician wants grid girls on Dutch GP grid Jun.13 (GMM) A Dutch parliamentarian wants grid girls to be on the Zandvoort grid next year. Early last year, F1 owner Liberty Media controversially banned grid girls from every grand […]
  • 02/11/2018 Vietnam, Netherlands step towards F1 in 2020 Nov.2 (GMM) Vietnam has taken a big step towards being on the 2020 F1 calendar. The People's Committee of Hanoi, the capital of the Asian country, has issued an invitation to an event […]
  • 05/03/2019 Assen refusing to give up on Dutch GP Mar.5 (GMM) Assen is refusing to give up on hosting a future Dutch grand prix. That is despite the fact that even the Dutch sports council says Zandvoort is the only potential venue for […]
  • 18/06/2019 Spa promoter wants to renegotiate F1 contract Jun.18 (GMM) Organisers of the Belgian grand prix at Spa Francorchamps say they want to renegotiate their contract with Formula 1. Last year, race promoter Spa Grand Prix signed a new […]
  • 13/05/2019 Bratches to join Carey for Dutch GP announcement May 13 (GMM) This week looks set to stage good news for the Dutch GP in Zandvoort. We reported at the weekend that Chase Carey is heading to the Netherlands this week to sign and […]
  • 27/07/2019 Barcelona denies 2020 Spanish GP deal done Jul.27 (GMM) Barcelona has denied reports that it has rescued the embattled Spanish GP for 2020. It was believed that Hockenheim and Barcelona would be axed in order to make room for new […]
  • 22/07/2019 More trouble for 2021 Rio GP Jul.22 (GMM) It is not smooth sailing for the new Formula 1 track in Rio de Janeiro. Last month, we reported that the proposed venue for the 2021 Brazilian GP was being accused of being […]