Alonso ‘not at all’ missing Melbourne

Mar.14 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he does not miss being in Melbourne for the 2019 season opener.

For the first time since making his F1 debut in 2001, the Spaniard is not present for the Australian grand prix.

While still a McLaren ambassador and tester, the 37-year-old is instead in Florida where he will race a Toyota in the Sebring 12 hour race.

When asked if he misses being in Australia, Alonso told Diario Sport: “Not at all.”

And when asked if he is expecting Melbourne to be an exciting race weekend, he added: “I do not know and I don’t care much.”

However, Alonso admitted that he will check up on the result.

“Logically yes, of course, like any fan I have normal curiosity to see how it goes and discover what is the real order of the teams.

“But the centre of the racing world for me this weekend is Sebring, where there will be more than 200,000 fans. I am definitely where I want to be,” he said.

Alonso said F1 “remains the most important category of motor sport” in the world, but he said he needed to switch focus for 2019.

“I don’t race there because I have much bigger challenges than F1 can offer me today. They have problems with the promoters of the races, with the television rights, with the teams. Right now in my career I have much bigger goals than F1,” he said.

However, Alonso has not ruled out a 2020 return in a winning car.

“I have not closed any doors for 2020,” he said, “but I do not have a crystal ball to see if I’m going back there or going back karting.

“If halfway through the year I see that I have achieved very important challenges outside of F1, or what is presented to me for 2020 seems more interesting, I could return,” Alonso said.

And when asked to pick which of the top three teams will win the title in 2019, Alonso said: “Two teams. There were never really three.”

He said it is “difficult to say” if Ferrari will win.

“In the tests last year it also looked like they would and then Mercedes won. What happens in Melbourne also has to be taken with a pinch of salt — we will have to wait some more races,” said Alonso.

Related News

  • 16/03/2019 Fittipaldi expects 2020 return for Alonso Mar.16 (GMM) F1 legend Emerson Fittipaldi is expecting Fernando Alonso to return to F1 next year. Currently, Spaniard Alonso is not in Melbourne this weekend but instead in Florida, […]
  • 11/11/2017 Alonso poised to announce 2018 Le Mans foray Nov.11 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has refused to deny reports he will definitely contest the fabled Le Mans 24 hour race next year. With an eye on motor racing's famous 'triple crown', the […]
  • 28/02/2019 Ferrari unsure of 2019 pecking order – Gene Feb.28 (GMM) A Ferrari test driver will not confirm that the Maranello team is leading the 2019 field. The paddock consensus is that Ferrari is clearly leading Red Bull-Honda and […]
  • 10/03/2015 Alonso ‘giving everything’ for Malaysia return Mar.10 (GMM) McLaren on Tuesday confirmed that Fernando Alonso is on course to return in Malaysia. The Spanish driver is being replaced by Kevin Magnussen in Melbourne this weekend after […]
  • 26/01/2018 Alonso says Le Mans chances ’50-50′ for 2018 Jan.26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says it is "50-50" whether he will race this year at Le Mans. Currently, the Spaniard - having contested the Indy 500 last year - is preparing for his […]
  • 05/03/2015 Teams threatening boycott over Alonso crash – report Mar.5 (GMM) F1 teams are threatening to boycott unless clearer information about Fernando Alonso's mysterious testing crash is revealed. That is the claim of the German magazine Sport […]
  • 30/03/2016 FIA doctors must green-light Alonso return Mar.30 (GMM) Fernando Alonso will not be cleared to race in Bahrain this weekend until a meeting with FIA doctors on Thursday. Following the Spaniard's terrifying high-speed crash in […]
  • 04/03/2015 Doctors ‘wise’ to sideline Alonso – Tambay Mar.4 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he can "understand" why he has been sidelined for the Australian grand prix. McLaren on Tuesday announced that, on the advice of the Spaniard's doctors, […]
  • 02/04/2016 McLaren angry with FIA over Alonso injuries – reports Apr.2 (GMM) Ron Dennis is reportedly angry with F1's governing body for not detecting the injuries that have sidelined Fernando Alonso in Bahrain. Just after his enormous Melbourne […]
  • 01/02/2016 McLaren livery change possible for 2016 – report Feb.1 (GMM) Speculation is mounting that McLaren will kick off its hopes for a much better 2016 season with a livery tweak. The British team has had famously few livery changes in its […]