McLaren drivers back driving role for Alonso

Mar.1 (GMM) McLaren’s race drivers do not have a problem with Fernando Alonso testing their car in 2019.

Alonso, who quit the team and sport at the end of last year but is now a test driver and ambassador, said he did not want to test in Barcelona because early mileage for Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris is “precious”.

But team boss Zak Brown has agreed to let Alonso drive the 2019 car later this year.

“Having Fernando on the team is fantastic,” rookie driver Norris is quoted by El Mundo Deportivo.

“He has experience, he thinks about things that I do not know yet and just being here has helped us,” he said in Barcelona.

“Even when he doesn’t drive, there are things that can help me with my driving or the performance of the car. We have to be grateful that he is part of the team again.

“Hopefully he can help us at some races too,” added Norris.

Spaniard Sainz, a friend and protege of Alonso’s, insists he wouldn’t even have minded if the 37-year-old had tested in Barcelona.

“I wouldn’t have worried,” he said.

“Having a guy like Fernando testing the car is a good thing for the team. We think he’s a very good reference for comparing this car with last year’s.”

Related News

  • 15/01/2019 McLaren to race ‘very different car’ in 2019 Jan.15 (GMM) McLaren will head into the 2019 season with a "very different car". That is the claim of team boss Zak Brown, who indicated that the once-great British team's recent […]
  • 31/01/2019 Alonso set for McLaren test in Barcelona Fernando Alonso could try McLaren's 2019 car as early as the forthcoming winter tests in Barcelona. The Spaniard has retired from F1, but team boss Zak Brown has said the two-time […]
  • 13/09/2018 McLaren car ‘extremely poor’ – Vandoorne Sep.13 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne has vowed to "give everything" in the remaining races of 2018, even after being dropped by McLaren. The Belgian was once a highly rated protege of the […]
  • 24/05/2019 Alonso said buying Indy 500 seat ‘unethical’ May 24 (GMM) Fernando Alonso ruled out taking over countryman Oriol Servia's seat in the Indy 500 because it was "unethical". That is not the claim of Alonso, or his boss Zak Brown, but […]
  • 13/04/2017 Indy 500 ‘not step away from F1’ – Alonso Apr.13 (GMM) Fernando Alonso insists his decision to skip next month's prestigious Monaco grand prix does not indicate his commitment to F1 is flagging. "No, it (Indy) is a single race," […]
  • 17/11/2017 McLaren ‘open’ to Alonso’s Le Mans foray Nov.17 (GMM) Zak Brown has given the strongest sign yet that Fernando Alonso will be allowed to contest next year's fabled Le Mans race. "In an ideal world, we would love Fernando to win […]
  • 20/10/2018 No Indycar season for McLaren, Alonso in 2019 Oct.20 (GMM) McLaren has decided against entering a full-time team in the Indycar series for 2019. It coincides with related news that the retiring McLaren driver Fernando Alonso is also […]
  • 09/01/2018 Norris wants to learn from and beat Alonso in Daytona Jan.9 (GMM) New McLaren reserve Lando Norris says Daytona is the perfect opportunity to start learning from Fernando Alonso. This year, the new reigning F3 champion will travel the […]
  • 23/10/2018 Vandoorne not ‘aggressive’ enough for F1 – Brown Oct.23 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne's F1 career could be over because he was not "aggressive" enough with McLaren. That is the view of McLaren team boss Zak Brown, who is replacing the […]
  • 15/05/2018 McLaren plans mid-season Alonso talks May 15 (GMM) McLaren will open talks with Fernando Alonso about 2019 around the middle of the season. That is the news from team executive Zak Brown, acknowledging the rumours that the […]