No 2020 Spanish GP negotiations yet

Mar.6 (GMM) Negotiations with Liberty Media about extending Barcelona’s F1 race contract have not even started yet.

The Circuit de Catalunya is among a handful of race promoters who are yet to commit to the sport beyond this year.

“We are talking but not negotiating,” circuit president Vincenc Aguilera told El Mundo Deportivo newspaper.

“Negotiations should begin shortly,” he added. “I am optimistic because we want to find an agreement.”

Barcelona is among the race promoters who are upset about Liberty Media’s annual fees.

Aguilera said: “The shareholders have put a series of conditions on but with the objective of renewing.

“Our goal is to see how we can improve our revenues and reduce our expenses. In 2018, the losses were as significant as in 2017,” he revealed.

“We do not want to keep enduring that.”

Aguilera said there is a deadline for the negotiations to be complete.

“It cannot be the end of the year because they have to publish the calendar,” he said.

“The logical thing would be that everything is finished at the end of summer, or September at the maximum.”

Circuit director Joan Fontsere admitted that the negotiations with Liberty will not be easy, because “If it was easy it would be done”.

Aguilera continued: “I negotiated with Bernie Ecclestone from 2012 to 2015. Three years! It was a very long and difficult negotiation but we arrived at a solution that sees Barcelona in F1 today.

“This will be a much faster negotiation,” he added.

Related News

  • 02/05/2019 Spanish GP negotiations not dead yet May 2 (GMM) Barcelona has not yet been locked out of the 2020 F1 calendar. This week, reports suggested that with Zandvoort set to host a race next year, the new Dutch GP could actually […]
  • 12/12/2018 Barcelona hopes for new F1 contract Dec.12 (GMM) Organisers of the Spanish grand prix are still not sure they will reach a new agreement with Liberty Media. Vicenc Aguilera, the Circuit de Catalunya boss, told Spanish […]
  • 09/05/2017 F1 ‘different’ post-Ecclestone – Barcelona May 9 (GMM) "Things are different" now that Bernie Ecclestone is no longer in charge of formula one. That is the claim of Vicenc Aguilera, the president of the long-time Spanish grand […]
  • 02/03/2015 Alonso entourage suspects car failure – report Mar.2 (GMM) A second week has begun with the saga surrounding Fernando Alonso's testing crash still high in the headlines. The most important issue, of course, is the McLaren-Honda […]
  • 20/02/2019 Alonso ‘may’ attend Barcelona test – McLaren Feb.20 (GMM) McLaren says Fernando Alonso will "maybe" be trackside at the Barcelona test next week. Earlier, there was speculation the now retired-from-F1 Spaniard could actually test […]
  • 31/12/2015 Barcelona slashes funding for Spanish GP Dec.31 (GMM) Barcelona's city council has slashed funding for the Spanish grand prix. Local reports including by the El Confidencial and Diario Sport newspapers say the council's […]
  • 18/01/2018 Montreal promoter opposes Friday axe plans Jan.18 (GMM) A race promoter says he is basically happy with Liberty Media's new approach as the sport gets together in London this week. Liberty has convened a series of major meetings […]
  • 19/10/2018 Barcelona to host all winter tests in 2019 Oct.19 (GMM) F1 will stick with Barcelona as its exclusive winter testing venue ahead of the 2019 season. There had been suggestions the teams might agree to head to an overseas location […]
  • 07/02/2017 De Vries still with McLaren team – spokesman Feb.7 (GMM) Nyck de Vries remains with the McLaren team, a spokesman for the British outfit told us on Tuesday. Earlier, the Dutch broadcaster RTL GP cited "sources" as it reported the […]
  • 07/02/2017 Young driver de Vries loses McLaren support – report Feb.7 (GMM) Nyck de Vries is losing the support of McLaren, according to the Dutch media. A report by the Dutch broadcaster RTL GP said the 22-year-old, who for years has been a McLaren […]